PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble Installing Ubuntu

kate mcgrath
July 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hey,

I am new to Ubuntu and am having trouble getting it installed on my computer (I have a mac os x). I have successfully burned Ubuntu 10.04 onto a cd and can get my computer to boot it.
The problem arises when I try to use ubuntu without changing my computer. The screen goes black and I have to shut my computer down to get any response at all. The same thing occurs no matter what option I choose when Ubuntu initially loads.
I have tried the older version 9.10 with the same results.
My frustration level is very high right now and I'm stumped! so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kate

Rubi1200
July 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Kate and welcome :)

We need some additional information please about your computer specifications, especially about what type of graphics card you have installed.

Also, do you want to dual-boot Ubuntu with Mac or get rid of Mac and only use Ubuntu?

These are things we need to know in order to offer solutions and advice.

Good luck!

kate mcgrath
July 16th, 2010, 10:56 PM
okay,

My comp is the iMac with the intwl core i5. It has a processor speed of 2.66GHz and a 4GB memory with 2342.25MB free RAM.
I believe my graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4850. It has 512MB VRAM.

I want to do a dual boot I believe. I want to have the choice of either using Ubuntu or OS X. The whole point of me getting Ubuntu is that I will be needing to use Linux based programs for my job soon.

Cheers,
kate

Rubi1200
July 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the information.

This link has some workarounds you can try for the LiveCD:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/

I cannot offer advice for dual-booting with Mac because I have no experience with that. But I am sure if you search the forum you will probably find something.

I would just add that if you have had problems with both 10.04 and 9.10 you may want to consider some other options as well.

kate mcgrath
July 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
hey,

So I've checked out your link and found that the Ubuntu version I have (10.04) has the option of "nomodeset" under F6. I don't have any of the other options listed on the webpage.
When I deactivate the nomodeset and then try to run Ubuntu without installing it will allow me to go one step further than it has before. I can now see the Ubuntu logo and the loading dots loading. However once the loading is apparently complete my screen goes black again as before.
I checked my disc for errors and it said it was fine.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks again!

Rubi1200
July 17th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Progress is always good :)

So, I have another suggestion and it goes like this:

When the CD starts up hit F6 and then Esc to see the boot line

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Move the cursor backwards using the arrow key and remove quiet splash;

Add the following parameter:

xforcevesa

In other words, the boot should look like this:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz xforcevesa --

Now hit Enter and hopefully you will be at the desktop admiring Lucid Lynx 10.04

linuxman94
July 17th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Should have been posted in the "Apple Users" section.

lisati
July 17th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Moved to "Apple Users"