PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where do I install my apps?

elmasry.ayman
July 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Now I understand that when installing software I should install in the /usr folder, but there are about 10 folders inside. Can anybody explain which ones are good for what?

davidmohammed
July 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
similar thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1527769)... hope that helps.

Penguin Guy
July 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
What program do you have in mind? It's usually a good idea to use apt (e.g. Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager, apt-get) to install software. If you must install anything manually, however, it should go in /usr/local.

Rubi1200
July 16th, 2010, 11:00 PM
This is from the official documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

elmasry.ayman
July 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
What program do you have in mind? It's usually a good idea to use apt (e.g. Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager, apt-get) to install software. If you must install anything manually, however, it should go in /usr/local.
Well I intend to install Java Development Kit and NetBeans... where would they go?

elmasry.ayman
July 17th, 2010, 12:21 AM
This is very confusing; there are so many folders, although the names are not unique (I can see bin, sbin, games...etc. in more than one place) but still I cant understand where to put my software, even inside the /usr/local/ folder there are 7 or 8 folders. Oh and by the way how do I uninstall a manually installed binary file?

oldfred
July 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM
If you go into synaptic you can install from there and not have to worry about anything.
Search on:
netbeans
jdk

elmasry.ayman
July 17th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I have to make a point clear that I DO know how to install using synaptic or apt-get, but this is not the case; I don't have any problems installing software using packages, all I need to know is what to do when installing from a binary or even compiling from source code. You know I once installed JDK and when I wanted to install Netbeans it couldn't see JDK on the system, that's why i need to know where to install software.

Is this question that hard to answer? Somebody out there must've installed from binaries before and knew where to put it!

oldos2er
July 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM
If by binaries you mean *.bin files, the ones I've dealt with "know where to go," so to speak, same as *.deb files. Usually in /opt.

I run "sudo make install" to install compiled code, which puts apps in /usr/local/bin.

elmasry.ayman
July 17th, 2010, 08:27 AM
If by binaries you mean *.bin files, the ones I've dealt with "know where to go," so to speak, same as *.deb files. Usually in /opt.

I run "sudo make install" to install compiled code, which puts apps in /usr/local/bin.
When I tried to install from a binary via the terminal, it placed the installation folder where the .bin file was, so obviously that one didn't know where to go...

oldos2er
July 17th, 2010, 06:08 PM
If running the *.bin just extracts it, then yes you'll need to put it somewhere in your $PATH. It would help to know what program it is.

elmasry.ayman
July 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I beg you to presume any list of categories and state their appropriate destination... this thread is becoming frustratingly long and off point.

digitalcitizenx
July 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Merely installing any application or program should, in any modern operating system, install itself in the appropriate places within the system.

I do not recall Java needing to be manually installed.

If you just need Java to run some type of online application or service then

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

should do it.

a simply Google search revealed this solution to installing Net Beans:

http://linuxhub.net/2010/06/install-netbeans-on-ubuntu-10-04/

Remember - Google is your friend.

oldos2er
July 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
It's usually preferred to install programs from the repositories. To install sun-java6-jdk, you'll need to enable the partner repository first (System, Administration, Software Sources).

elmasry.ayman
September 2nd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Well I've been away for quite a while... I'm marking this thread as solved because I found out that the problem was simply that I did NOT type 'sudo' before installing the binary and therefore the proper installation location was locked (read only) and that's why the installer did not determine the appropriate location.