PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] intermittent lirc fucntion after boot-up - run restart command at boot

Don Giovanni
July 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I have had this issue come and go over the past two years and my different installs of ubuntu with lirc/mythtv.

Intermittently lirc will not work after a boot or reboot and I need to restart it with "sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart", after that the remote works fine.
I'd estimate it as every third or fourth boot this happens. The rest of the time it works as expected.

I can't find anything in the logs to see what is happening those odd times and my lirc setup works fine otherwise.

What I would like to do is set up the init.d lirc restart command to automatically run say 15 to 30 seconds or so after boot up. So this way those times it doesn't load properly after boot I am not left to go find the keyboard, exit myth frontend and run the restart command manually. It will just restart on its own.

What is the best way to accomplish this?
(I know this doesn't address the real issue but it should get the job done)

nickrout
July 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
add the following to /etc/rc.local
sleep 15
service lirc restart

Don Giovanni
July 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
thanks nickrout I'll give it a try and see how things work out.

*Update*Additionally had to add a delay to the mythfrontend autostart (20sec) as I was having to exit and then reenter the mythfrontend for the remote to work sometimes after the lirc restart. But it works perfectly now.

one30nav
July 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Don, just let you know know, with my Tira-2 Receiver setup, all that was required was a 15 second delay in the mythfrontend autostart. In other words, you may not need the "service lirc restart" in "/etc/rc.local" at all.

In my case, the autostart was conflicting with lirc. Thanks for your post (and nickrout too). This helped me with a huge headache.

I did a "sudo nano /usr/bin/mythfrontend"

sleep 15
pidof mythfrontend.real 2>&1 >/dev/null && wmctrl -a "MythTV Frontend" 2>/dev/null && exit 0

ian dobson
July 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Don, just let you know know, with my Tira-2 Receiver setup, all that was required was a 15 second delay in the mythfrontend autostart. In other words, you may not need the "service lirc restart" in "/etc/rc.local" at all.

In my case, the autostart was conflicting with lirc. Thanks for your post (and nickrout too). This helped me with a huge headache.

I did a "sudo nano /usr/bin/mythfrontend"

sleep 15
pidof mythfrontend.real 2>&1 >/dev/null && wmctrl -a "MythTV Frontend" 2>/dev/n$

I think you have a copy/paste error at the end of the line (2>/dev/n$) I imagine it should be /dev/null

Regards
Ian Dobson

one30nav
July 25th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Thanks, Ian. Corrected.