PDA

View Full Version : Warty Backport: wine 20050211, winetools

jdong
February 13th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Synopsis
WINE's one of those things you'd always want the latest version of. Thanks to wine.sf.net for being so prompt in making .deb packages.

Backporting Process
The source archive came from winehq's APT repository. All deps were satisfied with Warty deps.

I grabbed a "winetools" package too. Not sure what it is. It's pretty new, single entry in changelog.

Packaging Status:
i386 -- Staging at revision 25.
amd64 -- Not packaged
ppc -- Not packaged

Beta tester notes:
Test OpenGL support with Nvidia-glx, ATI's glx, and X Mesa glx cards. It was unclear in the building which GLX headers to compile WINE against.

jdong
February 14th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Confirmed to run my suite of win32 console apps.

YokoZar
February 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Ah yes, I forgot to tell you about it, heh.

Winetools is a cool little setup app. If you have a fresh, virgin Wine install, try running Winetools first and have it setup your system for you. It can even be used to install Internet Explorer in a couple of clicks.

Sapper2ID
February 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I've installed wine, added to /apt/sources.list, I've run winetools setup, that went well. Now, How do I find it? I've been to Franks Corner, looked at faq's, I'm hitting a wall again with this. where is it? I thought I would bring up a windows lookalike window and go from there.

rufius
February 16th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I've installed wine, added to /apt/sources.list, I've run winetools setup, that went well. Now, How do I find it? I've been to Franks Corner, looked at faq's, I'm hitting a wall again with this. where is it? I thought I would bring up a windows lookalike window and go from there.
Wine is just an interface to using windows programs. You have to issue a command like "wine setup.exe" for it to do anything windows related. It doesn't actually bring up a seperate Windows 'desktop'.

Sapper2ID
February 16th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks.

woutervanwijk
February 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
to use Winetools (it's great!), just type wt in the terminal. And don't forget to read the instructions in the intro, it's important!

Jonathan_
February 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I have successfully installed wine and tried to run a setup file, it works for a few moments and then says 'the installsheild engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. (0x80004005)'

any ideas?

jdong
February 26th, 2005, 02:21 PM
That's probably a limitation of WINE. It certainly isn't caused by my packaging. I recommend you consult the WINE support mechanism (mailing list?), or google.

Jonathan_
February 26th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Ok thanks, i'll have a look around.

I have successfully installed another application, so maybe its a problem with the application I was trying to install before, however it says that it is supported by wine.

I installed this new application to C:\Program Files\Folder - How do I run the program now because I cannot find it anywhere?

jdong
February 26th, 2005, 02:55 PM
cd ~/.wine

drive_c should be in there ;-). Should bring back haunting memories from MS days.

Jonathan_
February 26th, 2005, 10:22 PM
ahh I see :) Thanks

I'm having more problems with Wine however. I get an error message when I try and install Dreamweaver MX.

"the installsheild engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched (0x80004005)"

any ideas?