PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Break int into bytes?

xefix
July 14th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hi, all

I have an integer that is greater than or equal to 1 byte. I would like to break it into a byte array, but I'm not sure if there's a function that does this.
If that doesn't make sense, imagine that I have the number 27389847, which is equivalent to 0x01A1EF97. I would like to have an array that looks like [0x01 0xA1 0xEF 0x97]. Please, point me in the right direction!

xefix
July 14th, 2010, 05:42 PM
*headdesk* Sorry for the stupid question, I realized that this was simple math!

schauerlich
July 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
In case anyone's wondering, you can use a char pointer to get a byte at a time. You just need to watch for endianness.

slavik
July 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
In case anyone's wondering, you can use a char pointer to get a byte at a time. You just need to watch for endianness.
that and the other way is to do a shift and bitmask ...

in C:

typedef byte unsigned char;
byte bytes[8];
int myInt = 34567;
bytes[0] = myInt & 255;
bytes[1] = (myInt >> 8) & 255;
bytes[2] = (myInt >> 16) & 255;
... /* you get the point, can be done in a loop where bits shifted is index*8 */

Although char pointer is probably easier (since it is just access, minus the shifting).

nmaster
July 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
that and the other way is to do a shift and bitmask ...

in C:

byte bytes[8];
int myInt = 34567;
bytes[0] = myInt & 255;
bytes[1] = (myInt >> 8) & 255;
bytes[2] = (myInt >> 16) & 255;
... /* you get the point, can be done in a loop where bits shifted is index*8 */
Although char pointer is probably easier (since it is just access, minus the shifting).

when i saw the title of the thread, my mind actually first jumped to the "mask and shift" idea. using the char* is pretty smart though.

Sockerdrickan
July 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'd go with a char pointer personally

lisati
July 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
For some reason my mind jumped to "mod and shift" instead of the better "mask and shift". I think I need to get myself a fresh cup of coffee. :)

xefix
July 14th, 2010, 09:15 PM

How would one do that, exactly? My solution, as I said before, involved simple mathematical operations, something like this:

int longInt = 1293819;
int byteArray[numbytes];
for(eachbyte){
currentByte = longInt % 256;
longInt = longInt / 256;
byteArray[numbytes-1-i] = curByte;
}

slavik
July 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
mod and integer division on x86 are the same operation (idiv), what happens is that one register gets the result of division (I forget the proper term for this) and the other gets the remainder, so the difference is what you read.

with that said, compared to other approaches, idiv is expensive (division/mutiplication are expansive, hence mmx/sse type additions to CPUs).

example of char pointer access.

byte *myByte;
int myInt = 3456789;
myByte = &myInt;
printf("%X\n", myByte[0]);
printf("%X\n", myByte[1]);

of course, mind the endianness as it will affect which bytes you get out of memory what byte the address points to.

xefix
July 14th, 2010, 09:44 PM
@slavik

Wouldn't your code complain about pointer casting? (int* to unsigned char*)

Also, I guess the byte pointer isn't treating the integer as a char array, but why? I mean, it won't see your int as {'3', '4', '5'}, right?

schauerlich
July 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
@slavik

Wouldn't your code complain about pointer casting? (int* to unsigned char*)

Also, I guess the byte pointer isn't treating the integer as a char array, but why? I mean, it won't see your int as {'1', '3', '5'}, right?

It might be good practice to explicitly cast it, but I doubt GCC would complain (maybe with -Wall). int and char are basically just shortcuts to say "give me (4 or 1) bytes of memory, and interpret it as (signed or unsigned)". An int is stored as 4 bytes, and a char is 1 byte. It's all just 1's and 0's, there's nothing sacred about its type on a physical level. If you use a char pointer to point the area of memory where an int is stored, when you dereference it, it will give you one byte at a time, interpreted as unsigned.

Sorry, I didn't word that very well...

xefix
July 14th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Oh, I understand. Thank you!

Tech2077
July 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I personally would have done the shift and mask, but char pointer never came to mind. :P

slavik
July 15th, 2010, 08:49 AM
It might be good practice to explicitly cast it, but I doubt GCC would complain (maybe with -Wall). int and char are basically just shortcuts to say "give me (4 or 1) bytes of memory, and interpret it as (signed or unsigned)". An int is stored as 4 bytes, and a char is 1 byte. It's all just 1's and 0's, there's nothing sacred about its type on a physical level. If you use a char pointer to point the area of memory where an int is stored, when you dereference it, it will give you one byte at a time, interpreted as unsigned.

Sorry, I didn't word that very well...
1. explicit casting is "good for you" (tm). But I didn't, so I suck.
2. No, you won't individual integers, these are bytes we're grabbing ;)
3. Don't take "it's all 0s and 1s in the end" for granted. There was a time when this concept was a very new thing which gave us stored/resident programs. This also gave us programs that could modify themselves (LISP is the best example of this) and modify other programs (although protected mode and such on x86 prevents that). The other big thing was software interrupts, which eventually gave way to exceptions.