PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Do you know any c language open source projects a beginner can contribute to?

aloprot
July 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hi again forum users, as the title says I would like to ask you if you know some c language projects beginners like myself can contribute to. I tried on Sourceforge but had no luck(no project maintainers contacted me). I would like to contribute to sharp my c skills. I'm searching for projects that accept beginners, I don't want to be a pain in developing something.

Sockerdrickan
July 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Well any project. I started out adding -Wall and -Wextra to projects and fixed their warnings, I learnt a lot about large projects and their structures as well as I did this.

aloprot
July 14th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I see, what I was really wanting to say is that can anyone name some names of projects like this, with Url-s to their website. As I said, I tried source forge to find some projects but no project maintainers contacted me.

splicerr
July 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
In my experience most projects are very happy to accept patches for bugs. So you could start by finding a project that you're interested in and start submitting patches to bug reports :) Eventually if they're satisfied with the quality of your code you can propose feautres that you'd like to implement yourself. If the project your interested in has an associated mailing list, just subscribe to it, maybe lurk a bit and introduce yourself.

amaterasher
July 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I want that thing too..

soltanis
July 14th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Easiest way to start contributions is to get their source tree, read their bug tracker/mailing list/todo, and start contributing patches to them to fix their issues.