PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot OS9 from Triple boot system

Chris Grk-O-Matic
July 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
1Ghz Titanium Powerbook with:
Ubuntu 9.10
Mac OS 9
Mac OS 10.3.9

I used to be able to boot in to any OS easily. Now I can't boot in to OS9 for some reason.

If I'm booting holding down the Option key, OS9 is shown but when I select it I get floppy with the blinking ? mark.

Also, in bootstrap I used to get my 3 OS's but OS9 has been replaced by CDROM as a boot choice.

Can someone offer some advise please?

Thank,
Chris

linuxopjemac
July 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Did you delete partitions by mistake ?

http://mac.linux.be/content/yaboot

Chris Grk-O-Matic
July 13th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Nah. I never messed with the partitions since I got everything up and running some time ago.

Should I zap the PRAM or try sudo ybin?

Thanks - Chris

linuxopjemac
July 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
If you are sure that yaboot.conf is fine, you can issue a sudo ybin -v, yes. I would first check your yaboot.conf and compare it with the output of mac-fdisk /dev/your_drive

Chris Grk-O-Matic
July 14th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I'm not really sure where to go from what you said. I got this out of the terminal if you can steer me in the right direction:

## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot=/dev/hda9
device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
partition=10
root=/dev/hda10
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/hda12

image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="quiet splash"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
label=old
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
append="quiet splash"

Do you think Ubuntu altered the OS9 drivers? Perhaps I should take the advice from here and boot off the OS9 disk and update drivers:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/YabootConfigurationForMacintoshPowerPCsDualBoot

I should mention that this worked for me when I did my initial triple partition/OS install a while ago. I'm just a bit hesitant to do it now since I'm all established with everything else.

linuxopjemac
July 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
That is a very good idea. I now remember something similar when I was dual booting OS9 and Debian on my old PowerMac 7600. Linux can somehow screw up the driver partitions. Try that first.

On some machines, trying to boot Mac OS 9 by pressing 'm' at the yaboot prompt gives a blinking floppy disk icon. This is because the Ubuntu installer is not quite perfect and alters the Mac OS 9 drivers for the hard disk; the data on the partition is still safe. To fix this, start up from the Mac OS 9 install CD and open /Utilities/Drive Setup. Select the hard drive where your Mac OS 9 partition is, and select "Update Driver" from the "Functions" menu.

Chris Grk-O-Matic
July 15th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Updated the OS9 drivers - worked!

Thanks,
Chris