PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Update broke wake from lirc

psiegel
July 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have a mediacenter usb remote (mceusb) that I use to operate my mythbuntu box. I set it up to suspend to ram via the power button using the instructions here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote#S3_.2F_Suspend_To_RAM

Basically it involves enabling wake from USB in /proc/acpi/wakeup, running irexec, and configuring lirc to call irexec with the hibernate command. It works great. Or it did work, until I applied the recent update to kernel version 2.6.32-23. Then it stopped waking up. It would still hibernate just fine when running, but I could only wake it up by pressing the power button. When in hibernate mode, the IR receiver just appears to be dead, its light doesn't even blink when I press buttons on the remote, like it's not even getting any power.

I rebooted into the older kernel (2.6.32-22), and lo and behold it worked great again. I've since uninstalled the updated kernel and this is a fine work-around for me. I have no reason to really need the updated kernel. However, I wanted to report this to whoever the right person or group might be. I wasn't sure who that was though, so I started here. If this is not the right place to report the issue, can someone redirect me? Thanks.

Paul

superm1
July 13th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I have a mediacenter usb remote (mceusb) that I use to operate my mythbuntu box. I set it up to suspend to ram via the power button using the instructions here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote#S3_.2F_Suspend_To_RAM

Basically it involves enabling wake from USB in /proc/acpi/wakeup, running irexec, and configuring lirc to call irexec with the hibernate command. It works great. Or it did work, until I applied the recent update to kernel version 2.6.32-23. Then it stopped waking up. It would still hibernate just fine when running, but I could only wake it up by pressing the power button. When in hibernate mode, the IR receiver just appears to be dead, its light doesn't even blink when I press buttons on the remote, like it's not even getting any power.

I rebooted into the older kernel (2.6.32-22), and lo and behold it worked great again. I've since uninstalled the updated kernel and this is a fine work-around for me. I have no reason to really need the updated kernel. However, I wanted to report this to whoever the right person or group might be. I wasn't sure who that was though, so I started here. If this is not the right place to report the issue, can someone redirect me? Thanks.

Paul

Paul:

File a bug using this command:

ubuntu-bug linux

Make sure you indicate it's a regression.

nonoitall
July 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Just thought I'd pipe in and let you know you're not the only one affected by this issue. :smile: