PDA

View Full Version : Running WoW Through Wine, "Failed to find a suitable display device"

omnisource
July 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Alright, So I finally got wow installed and running through wine, it patched all the way up just fine, and I installed my latest nVidia drivers. Then when I goto play the game, I get this error "Failed to find suitable display device." Well I searched and found this fix in the wowwiki, but I have no clue how to do what they are saying, can I get some help with this? Thanks

Failed to find a suitable display device.

This is usually direct3d in cause. You may try to overwrite the d3d9.dll, or use the builtin one if you're already overwriting it. Try switching between gxApi (http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_gxApi) opengl and d3d as well. Also, if using OpenGL, ensure that glx is loaded in the Module section of your xorg.conf file.

asdfoo
July 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
are you on 64bit and forgot to install the nv 32bit opengl compat drivers?

Rody
July 15th, 2010, 06:25 AM
are you on 64bit and forgot to install the nv 32bit opengl compat drivers?

You should not have to do that. The nvidia drivers loaded in any of the latest ubuntu releses should work just find to play wow, it is posable that you have a configuration error, try nvidia-xconfig. I guess we are not supposed to have a Xorg.conf but maybe this will fix it.

rody