PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] formatting of external drive

vsiege
July 11th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Whats the best choice for formatting (file system) an external drive for use between osx and ubuntu? HFS extended?

robsoles
July 12th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I'm gonna bet the absolute majority of formats that OSX can manage can easily be accessed by Ubuntu.

conal
July 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm wishing I had used HFS+ for this purpose instead of FAT32, because now I can't copy files larger than 4GB to my external hard drive!

robsoles
July 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm wishing I had used HFS+ for this purpose instead of FAT32, because now I can't copy files larger than 4GB to my external hard drive!

Take all the files from it onto a drive on one of the machines you pair it with and re-format it - if you have an Ubuntu machine then you should have palimpsest ("System"->"Administration"->"Disk Utility") and it is an excellent tool for reformatting.

conal
July 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Take all the files from it onto a drive on one of the machines you pair it with and re-format it - if you have an Ubuntu machine then you should have palimpsest ("System"->"Administration"->"Disk Utility") and it is an excellent tool for reformatting.

Good point but I'm out of room everywhere else. Maybe time to buy an new hard drive? Unless I can somehow resize the FAT32 partition without destroying the data, and create an HFS+ partition for my big files, but that could be risky when I can't back up...

Cheers

Conal