PDA

View Full Version : WoW Issues with Wine 1.2rc7

EmyrB
July 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Since yesterday (when I updated my system after a few days) WoW's sound was borked. I checked the Wine forums and nothing posted and followed the advice there of switching off OSS, then ALSA and finally using PulseAudio but this didn't help. Today I see that an update for Wine came down and now I have no sound in WoW what so ever.

Other games I have got such as Dr Who Adventures and Guild Wars work with sound and I also checked my Arch Linux box and WoW and Wine work fine.

Any ideas?

Edit: Sorry I should have said Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

elmaz
July 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have exactly the same issue, but after today's new update (ver 1.2~rc7-0ubuntu2) it was fixed, so maybe you should try it.

EmyrB
July 12th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I have exactly the same issue, but after today's new update (ver 1.2~rc7-0ubuntu2) it was fixed, so maybe you should try it.

Yup, that's the same version I am running and now I have no sound as opposed to just noise :(

YokoZar
July 13th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Yup, that's the same version I am running and now I have no sound as opposed to just noise :(

no sound is still typical, unfortunately.

killall -9 pulseaudio before running helps sometimes (as does closing other sources of audio)

hikaricore
July 13th, 2010, 08:27 AM
There's a patch to properly support pulseaudio in wine but for some reason it keeps being ignored.

cburner
July 13th, 2010, 11:54 PM
You can try configuring wine with the command
padsp winecfg and ticking alsa, if still not working try OSS. Also start WoW with the command
padsp wine path/to/WoW/wow.exe

search66
July 14th, 2010, 12:00 AM
The only issue I have with sound is when I'm running Mangler at the same time... Other than that, it's been fine.

dardack
July 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM
There's a patch to properly support pulseaudio in wine but for some reason it keeps being ignored.

If you read his blog he tells why:

A development branch of Wine aims to implement the new mmdevapi from Vista using OpenAL, which has native pulseaudio support on linux already. Once this is complete winmm and directsound will be implemented on top of mmdevapi. WinePulse will be made redundant by these changes. Thus, this patch shall be maintained only as a stopgap until the new audio system is available. For historical aspects, social commentary and flames see http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10495 .

source for winepulse:

http://art.ified.ca/?page_id=40

dardack
July 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The only issue I have with sound is when I'm running Mangler at the same time... Other than that, it's been fine.

If you feel comfortable compiling your own wine (i do for a faux HW OpenGL cursor patch i wrote for 1.2rc*, and for winepulse) compile in WinePulse, you'll get pulseaudio in wine, which allows both mangler/wow to run together great.