PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gtkpod fails

JakeFrederix
July 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Ipod classic 160GB. I've tried putting video-files on it with both Rythmbox and Gtkpod. I must be doing something wrong.

Things I've done;

1) convert files to .mov files using avidemux. => files are 0 seconds long (even though they are not 0 bytes big). I can put these on my ipod, but since they are 0 seconds long, ipod briefly shows black screen and returns.

2) put mp4 file on ipod with gtkpod (gtkpod aac). => Even though it is the 'aac'-version I still get the warning about not having compiled it with the library that supports mp4-files. I also get a warning saying "The following track could not be processed (filetype is known, but analysis failed) ... '

3) put mp4 file on ipod with rythmbox. => Simply doesn't do anything. No warning, no copying of files.

I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Jake

JakeFrederix
July 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I've installed the restricted extras, and this changed some things.
For instance now I can copy .mp4 files to my ipod. They have a size != 0 and a length != 0 seconds. The ipod still shows a black screen (briefly) and then returns to the menu.

Of course, Ubuntu is able to show all videos (even the ones that are problematic in ipod).

JakeFrederix
July 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM
The problem does not occur on all videos.
I cannot yet determine what makes a video problematic or not.

PDA1
December 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I've found the same problem with my 160g and that the solution was to only load videos that were 320x240.

I use FFMPEG to convert all of the videos that aren't in that size. Here's the code;

ffmpeg -i INPUT_FILE.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -preset medium -vpre ipod320 -crf 24 -acodec libfaac -aq 100 -vf scale="320:trunc(ow/a/2)*2" OUTPUT_FILE.mp4

enjoijesus94
December 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM
hello JakeFrederix
try to download Winff

sudo apt-get install winff

PDA1
December 5th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I tried Winff- and couldn't wait to delete it. The presets are out of date, don't work or require a master's degree in computer science to you.