View Full Version : [all variants] Recording a stream

July 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Is it possible to record an internet radio stream? I don't mean the audio output, I mean the stream itself, which often contains additional data such as track and artist details.

I guess what I'm asking is how to record the stuff that goes /into/ my media player, rather than what comes out of it. But maybe dealing with raw data like this would result in huge files and be impractical?

July 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Kstreamripper does a good job...

July 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM
And if you use gnome, streamripper is also worth looking at; it's a cli application, but easy to use.

It will not work with a realmedia stream, however, if you want to record those, but mplayer will, and will also record mp3 streams as well.

I am not sure about the other data stream that comes with the music, as I have never bothered to find out about that.

July 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Kstreamripper is an easy-to-use frontend for streamripper which works under gnome also...

July 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Streamripper will use the data stream, when available, and splits the stream into separate songs and names them for you automatically.

If you want a gnome-native GUI for streamripper you should give Streamtuner a try.

July 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Steamripper it is. Nice piece of kit.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction - I'll have a look at Streamtuner sometime, too, but at the moment Streamripper is does all I need very easily.