PDA

View Full Version : Mobile OS use and why?

chudder
July 9th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I just wanted to put a post out on what mobile device OS (Android or WebOS, or other) people use who generally like Ubuntu/Linux/OpenSource in general and why?

This isn't necessarily for technical purposes, just personal preferences, although if you have a technical reason, please share.

Some things to share might be:

-Cost and availability of apps
-user interface usability
-general likes and dislikes, etc
-what do you use your device for?

I'll start, I don't currently have a mobile device worthy of noting, basically it's trash, an LG Vu (not plus). I'm very much considering getting a Palm Pre Plus, they seem very easy to use customize, although Android is customizable as well. My understanding is that each is customizable in different ways.

How much are apps for each? I know what iPhone apps run ($0 to $10-ish).

LowSky
July 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm not really sure what your looking to hear. Most of this has been covered on the forums many times before.

I'm using an Android phone, the Droid Incredible (Dinc).

Most apps that people use are free... and the ones you pay for are mostly $1.99 or around there.

The user interface is pretty good and fluid, the Dinc uses HTC's SenseUI which I like better over standard Android.

I use it for email, navigation, casual web browsing, little game play, and text messages and phone calls.

Only thing I wish it had was tethering as a standard option. One major gripe is that applications don't automatically update themselves except for OS updates. The upside is that you can update apps at anytime and on wifi which is quicker than 3G.

Also coming from a Blackberry I miss BBM and Blackberry's better battery life. I have to charge my phone every 10-12 hours, my BB made it through two days doing similar stuff.

LowSky
July 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm not really sure what your looking to hear. Most of this has been covered on the forums many times before.

I'm using an Android phone, the Droid Incredible (Dinc).

Most apps that people use are free... and the ones you pay for are mostly $1.99 or around there.

The user interface is pretty good and fluid, the Dinc uses HTC's SenseUI which I like better over standard Android.

I use it for email, navigation, casual web browsing, little game play, and text messages and phone calls.

Only thing I wish it had was tethering as a standard option. One major gripe is that applications don't automatically update themselves except for OS updates. The upside is that you can update apps at anytime and on wifi which is quicker than 3G.

Also coming from a Blackberry I miss BBM and Blackberry's better battery life. I have to charge my phone every 10-12 hours, my BB made it through two days doing similar stuff.