PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] can't get "VLC" working

mrwicked
July 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
hi! i received my ubuntu8.10 with my dell vostro 1015 laptop.. recently i decided to reduce the use of windows n start with ubuntu. i have a dual boot with xp sp3. after goin through a few articles, books n video tutorials , i tried to install vlc from .deb package.
this is the link where the package was mentioned "http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/vlc-0-9-2-deb-for-ubuntu-t357107.html" .
the package got installed successfully but when i try to play any mp3 or video file with vlc nothing happens. if anything's wrong with the package, please let me have another one("which works")....
i can't download it using the terminal because i use a dial-up modem and the driver for the modem isn't available for linux.
i use windows for surfing the web....
any help is appreciated!!!! thanks :)

khelben1979
July 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
If you feel brave, you can always download the source code from here (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html).
VLC configure parameters (http://wiki.videolan.org/Configure#Linux) to see what you need, if anything.

I usually just do:
/configure
make
make allin the VLC source code file path.

PS. VLC version 1.1 is out now!

ron999
July 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
But isn't VLC Media Player in the Ubuntu repository?

If so, why bother with debs or roll-your-own versions.

wookieshaver
July 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'd be interested to know if you installed the support for mp3/xvid/etc first. You can enable support for these by typing into a terminal/konsole prompt:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras (apt://ubuntu-restricted-extras/)

and I'd also get this one too:

sudo apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc

Let me know how it goes!

ratcheer
July 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM
All I have to install to get vlc working is libdvdcss2, but that is probably included in ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Tim

mrwicked
July 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM
no i didn't . but i'll surely let u know as soon as i install ubuntu-restricted-extras. hey do u have any idea oof a torrent link to ubuntu-restricted-extras . thanx buddy!!

mrwicked
July 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I'd be interested to know if you installed the support for mp3/xvid/etc first. You can enable support for these by typing into a terminal/konsole prompt:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras (apt://ubuntu-restricted-extras/)

and I'd also get this one too:

sudo apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc

Let me know how it goes!

no i didn't . but i'll surely let u know as soon as i install ubuntu-restricted-extras. hey do u have any idea oof a torrent link to ubuntu-restricted-extras . thanx buddy!!

martiniuuus
July 11th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Is the problem you have with VLC that it doesnt work with ALL movies (like, DVD rips) - or, do you ONLY have problems with VLC with blu-ray movies (720/1080 resolutions movies)?

VLS supports dvd rips very good - but, it has many problems with blu-ray rips. In such case then use another player like Mediaplayer classic and with K-lite Megapack codec.