View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking for iPod alternative

July 9th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Hello fellow Ubuntu users,

My girlfriend is looking to replace her 30 GB fifth generation Apple iPod. She and I are both running 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). Every once in a while Ubuntu and Rhythmbox will be unable to find the iPod and the iPod won't respond. Getting it back up and running is troublesome without a computer that runs iTunes.

I'm looking for recommendations on a Personal Media Player (PMP) to replace it. Here are my requirements:

-Must play mp3 format.
-Must play m4a format (she has a lot of music ripped from CDs from her iTunes days).
-Must have capacity comparable to 30 GB. She already has around 50 GB in her library in music so an 8 GB model would be way too small.
-Must work well with Ubuntu Linux (this one is probably obvious).

-Integrates with Rhythmbox similar to how the iPod does. She uses Rhythmbox for managing her music collection.
-Anything that plays FLAC or OGG or otherwise supports free and open formats is always a bonus, though she doesn't have any music in these formats right now so it's not mandatory.
-Ability to add music to the device through the file system. This was always one of the biggest downfalls of the iPod; it required external software to so much as load music onto the device.

All I require is that it play music. She doesn't use her iPod for games, applications, photos or video now so audio is the only concern.

Any advice on shopping for this PMP would be much appreciated.

Brett :)

July 9th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Ive been looking at these because they handle ogg, flac, etc

if neither of them fit the bill you might look at something like rockbox at rockbox.org

July 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I'm eying up the Cowon O2 32GB. It looks quite impressive in terms of the formats it supports and I assume that I can put data on it via filesystem and do not require any other software.

Great suggestion akrobert!

Thank you,

July 9th, 2010, 07:17 AM
thats one of the reasons I was looking at it so closely. not only does it cover most audio formats but it covers most video formats as well including mkv files.

glad to help