PDA

View Full Version : Solar powered airplane flies through the night

forrestcupp
July 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
An experimental airplane (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-08/solar-powered-aircraft-lands-after-overnight-flight.html) that is completely solar powered was able to keep charge long enough to fly through the entire night. They're planning a flight across the Atlantic Ocean, then later an around the world flight.

Pretty awesome.

The Real Dave
July 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I agree, that is pretty awesome :) Next, automate the thing.

V for Vincent
July 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Pretty great, can't argue with that. Hope to hear more about this in the coming years.

RiceMonster
July 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
This is really cool. I'm guessing this kind of thing could easily be done in cars as well if they can do it in a plane.

whiskeylover
July 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I want

Cuddles McKitten
July 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Does this mean we'll have flying airships we can live on soon?

forrestcupp
July 8th, 2010, 04:00 PM
This is really cool. I'm guessing this kind of thing could easily be done in cars as well if they can do it in a plane.

Maybe someday. But it only weighs as much as a mid-sized car and only goes 26 miles per hour.

I wonder if it was able to take off on its own or if it was pulled to flight like a glider.

The Real Dave
July 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM

The trouble is, that cars can't drive above the clouds to get uninterrupted sunlight like planes can >.<

betrunkenaffe
July 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM
The trouble is, that cars can't drive above the clouds to get uninterrupted sunlight like planes can >.<

Clouds or not, there isn't much sunlight at night.

whiskeylover
July 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Clouds or not, there isn't much sunlight at night.

Thats why we have batteries.

Excedio
July 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM

They do

http://www.car-cars.cn/car/pics/2009/10/Solar_Wing_front_Japanese_electric_powered_car.jpg

MasterNetra
July 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Does this mean we'll have flying airships we can live on soon?

Not really. Think about it, use too much power with your appliances during the night and down you go. Not to mention the price tag on such a thing. So no not likely.

They do

http://www.car-cars.cn/car/pics/2009/10/Solar_Wing_front_Japanese_electric_powered_car.jpg

+1

Old Marcus
July 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Not exactly a practical vehicle though is it? :P

wewantutopia
July 8th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Maybe someday. But it only weighs as much as a mid-sized car and only goes 26 miles per hour.

I wonder if it was able to take off on its own or if it was pulled to flight like a glider.

Not to mention it has the surface are of "64-meter (210-foot) wings that about match the wingspan of an Airbus A340 airliner" to load with solar cells and capture energy.

If I remember correctly, the sun provides ~1kwh per sq. meter average, you'd have to have a pretty BIG car. Solar cells on an electric car could certainly HELP provide power for the motor or charge the batteries while driving/parked. Or they may suffice if you only have to drive 20mph.