PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Volume Levels Jumping Randomly

ks07
July 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hey all.
I am currently troubled with a very annoying problem - the volume level of the PC is jumping higher and lower at random intervals. It makes listening to music very difficult, as at times the music can go from just right to overly loud, just to fall right down so that it is hard to hear. I've only noticed this problem in the past few weeks, and I can definitely say it wasn't an issue in 9.10. This is a fresh install btw, not an upgrade.

Some details:
Using motherboard sound, Realtek HD Audio, iirc. Below is the output of lshw, with the irrelevant parts cut out.

ks07-ubuntu
description: Desktop Computer
product: System Product Name
vendor: System manufacturer
version: System Version
serial: System Serial Number
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4 smp-1.4 smp
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop cpus=2
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: M2NPV-VM
vendor: ASUSTek Computer INC.
physical id: 0
version: 1.xx
serial: 123456789000
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
physical id: 0
version: ASUS M2NPV-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 0202 (09/22/2006)
size: 128KiB
capacity: 448KiB
capabilities: pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: MCP51 High Definition Audio
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 10.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:10.1
version: a2
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 maxlatency=5 mingnt=2
resources: irq:22 memory:fe024000-fe027fff

Also, see this link for the output of the ALSA info script: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e95bd9539da5cfab15efcf9ea7f050de19164d9c

Thanks for your time. :popcorn:

lidex
July 9th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Is this a home-built computer? If not, can you provide make/model please?
You do have mismatched alsa components. I would suggest uninstalling any alsa-backports and then
follow the alsa-upgrade link in my sig to get v. 1.0.23

ks07
July 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Is this a home-built computer? If not, can you provide make/model please?
You do have mismatched alsa components. I would suggest uninstalling any alsa-backports and then
follow the alsa-upgrade link in my sig to get v. 1.0.23
Thanks for the reply. The PC is a budget box from Targa, an AN 3400+, see here (http://www.targa.co.uk/index.jsp?SID=0&NAV=236&DOC=&PAGE=&PCAT=2&PROD=316&PTUBE=10&PARAMS=undefined&PARAMS2=undefined&SPCAREA=undefined). It's been upgraded over the years with new memory, gpu, cpu and HDD, so all thats left of the original is the motherboard and case. :p

I uninstalled alsa-backports with --purge and then ran the alsa-upgrade script according to the instructions in the thread. It appears to have worked, and sound works. However, after restarting the problem still remains. :( (Although it seems to happen less frequently... although that could just be me)

I have ran the alsa-info script again, in the hope it may shed some light on the problem.
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=83cab71a17eec9b6c414606239ef220ebce47eff

lidex
July 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Any chance of a bios update?

I'm really not too keen on this error message:

[ 929.656030] ALSA hda_codec.c:385: hda_codec: invalid CONNECT_LIST verb 12[2]:2100

How many audio jacks on the board?

ks07
July 10th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Any chance of a bios update?

I'm really not too keen on this error message:

[ 929.656030] ALSA hda_codec.c:385: hda_codec: invalid CONNECT_LIST verb 12[2]:2100
How many audio jacks on the board?
I've been pondering over a bios update for a while, I tried the Asus version but it would not work, turns out I need one from the original manufacturer. I'll give it a go, but I need to use Windows... :sigh:

There are three jacks on the mobo itself, line out, line in and microphone. There's also a pci add-on card with s/pdif thats plugged in to the mobo that came pre-installed.

lidex
July 10th, 2010, 12:53 AM
No guarantees, but you can try this. Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Open this file for editing:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Insert this line at the bottom:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack
Save. Close. Reboot. Check your levels in alsamixer.

alsamixer

ks07
July 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Okay, I've updated the bios (a little scared when presented with a black screen on boot, turns out I had to switch monitor cables :p) and added the given line to the config file. The good news: It seems to have worked! I've played a few songs and have not noticed any volume problems! :KS Thanks very much!

Overview for others who may have this problem:

Completely remove any alsa-backports in synaptic
Download, compile and install latest ALSA drivers using the script.
Update bios (! risky, may not be necessary !)
Add 'options snd-hda-intel model=3stack' to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Some combination of these steps should solve the problem. Once again, many thanks to lidex for the help. :D

EDIT: This process caused part of gstreamer to break, specifically it caused rhythmbox to be unable to play most (weirdly not all) music, because of missing 'autoaudiosink'. This is a known bug that has already been fixed, so I presume using the alsa update script caused this fix to be reset. Follow this link if you experience this problem for a fix (scroll to the posts about using gconf-editor). (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/442157)

lidex
July 10th, 2010, 01:56 AM
You're welcome. Good job, BTW.