PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iTunes alternative

snowmanman
July 7th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I'm looking for a program that can play my music like iTunes does, by organizing it within the program. Does a program like this exist, or should I try something else?

nategerr
July 7th, 2010, 12:45 AM
rythymbox, amarok, gtkpod are all good alternatives

snowmanman
July 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Is there a way i can "import" music like iTunes that way it is all stored in an easy place. I can't seem to find something like this with Amarok. I would try the others, but I would like to know if they had this feature first.

nategerr
July 8th, 2010, 03:07 AM
there should be an import option somewhere but I recall amarok running a scan initially at first start up. All of the music is then stored (remember to save after scanning!)in a library that will display everything you have relieving you of the task of importing anything, just like itunes. you could almost as easily run a search for mp3's in linux, cut and paste all music into a single folder then import the whole thing with any of those programs i mentioned. I have used rythymbox with my ipod and sansa view from day one and only tried other programs for kicks. Itunes has a bad habit of duplicating files and renaming them with useless filenames like qtxc.mp3 which infuriates me to no end. good luck
Nate

carlexpc
July 8th, 2010, 03:17 AM
rhythmbox fits your requirement.