PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] disabling pulseaudio

methodtwo
July 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hi
As i mentioned in my previous thread about sound, my sound wasn't working.I then did:

$rm -r .pulse
This didn't fix the problem.So i did:

$sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

It said that pulseaudio was allready at the latest version.When i looked in my home directory there was a .pulse directory there again.
I then uncommented the line in the pulseaudio client config, telling pulseaudio not to respawn once it had been killed.I then did:

$kill -9 pulseaudio_process_id.
This fixed the problem of there being no sound.I could hear things when i played them with flash etc.
However every time i boot the system pulseaudio doesn't get started.Also my system seems to be a bit unstable now:firefox crashed when flash was playing something, and the whole desktop and the mouse and keyboard locked.I had to reboot by shutting the power off at the wall.
I was wondering is my sound fix a safe one?.Is the unstable behaviour due to the fact that i've broken the system in my quest to get sound working?.Should i re-enable pulseaudio(how??)and look for a better fix to get the sound working?.Thank you for your time
regards

cherva
July 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Pulse is configured to run on per user basis so in order to stop it from running every time you login open /etc/pulse/client.conf

gksu gedit /etc/pulse/client.conf
and change autospawn to no

autospawn=no

methodtwo
July 6th, 2010, 11:16 PM
That's exactly what i allready did(as mentioned at the start of this thread)

methodtwo
July 6th, 2010, 11:17 PM
My question was:will this make my system unstable?.Thank you for your time
regards

cherva
July 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM
If I were you ... I'd remove the pulseaudio package and reinstall ALSA.