PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .wmv video not playing. Why?

sofasurfer
July 6th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I am unable to view videos with a .wmv extension on a website. One of the videos is here... http://www.tangsoodoworld.com/reference/One%20Steps%20-%20Freestyle%20-%20Set%201.wmv

As far as I remember I jave played .wmv files before with no problem.
Any idea why they are not working?

ajgreeny
July 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Plays great here. You must be missing some codec or other, so install ubuntu-restricted-extras if you do not already have it.
See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

no2498
July 6th, 2010, 09:57 PM
you have installed the ubuntu extras i hope

if you install smplayer it loads a few more codes
just type it in a terminal it tells you how to install it

it played fine for me in totem

hope this helps

sofasurfer
July 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I installed smplayer. No help. I installed restricted extras. Was told that I already have it installed.

I notice that the restricted extras are for 9.10 and 10.04. I have 9.04. So maybe I have the wrong ones installed.

I think I will install 10.04. I did the live cd and it looks pretty cool. I have had 9.04 for a long time. 9.10 gave me some issues like taking forever to open a web page so I stuck with 9.04 and I love it. Hate to leave it but what the heck.

Has 10.04 been a good release or is it iffy?

ajgreeny
July 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I installed smplayer. No help. I installed restricted extras. Was told that I already have it installed.

I notice that the restricted extras are for 9.10 and 10.04. I have 9.04. So maybe I have the wrong ones installed.

I think I will install 10.04. I did the live cd and it looks pretty cool. I have had 9.04 for a long time. 9.10 gave me some issues like taking forever to open a web page so I stuck with 9.04 and I love it. Hate to leave it but what the heck.

Has 10.04 been a good release or is it iffy?
Very dependent on your hardware. There are some older ati video cards that don't play nice with 10.04, and some laptops that suffer with overheating problems, but nothing that can not usually be overcome.

Try the live CD first and you may quickly get a clue. Perhaps even try setting up a small separate install partition, and linking all the data files in your current home to the new home. Keep all the hidden config files and folders for each separate, as they can cause conflicts due to different app versions.

This is the way I nearly always check out a new ubuntu version; Live CD first, then linked home installed version, and if all is OK, just reset the old home as new home. Job done!

andrew.46
July 9th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Hi sofasurfer,

This little clip is a very microsoft-centric one with Windows Media Audio 2 sound and Windows Media Video 9 video. It can be played by vlc with some coaxing, I attach a screenshot of this playing. MPlayer may be a little easier under Ubuntu and can be done with the 32bit MPlayer + the mplayer codec pack (w32codecs) or a newer version of MPlayer that has ffwmv3:

andrew@skamandros~/Desktop$ mplayer -vc ffwmv3 'One Steps - Freestyle - Set 1.wmv'
MPlayer SVN-r31642-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Playing One Steps - Freestyle - Set 1.wmv.
ASF file format detected.
[asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
[asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 2
VIDEO: [WMV3] 320x240 24bpp 1000.000 fps 181.4 kbps (22.1 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
title: One Steps - Freestyle - Set 1
author:
copyright: Tang Soo Do World
comments:
================================================== ========================
Forced video codec: ffwmv3
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffwmv3] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg WMV3/WMV9)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 80.0 kbit/5.67% (ratio: 10003->176400)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [xv] 320x240 => 320x240 Planar YV12
A: 35.4 V: 35.9 A-V: -0.573 ct: -0.627 928/928 4% 0% 0.4% 0 0

Exiting... (End of file)

All the best,

Andrew