PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] setup battery

vwbug
July 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I have a Dell Dimension XPS. The setup battery is going out. Do I need to get another one? The reason I ask is the older computers (I know this one is old too) I've had, I had to re-enter hard drive and other information in if the battery went bad, they wouldn't even boot. Now they just auto detect the hard drive, it boots and Ubuntu sets the time from the Internet.
Must be getting old. Had a old 8088 that didn't even have a setup that I added a hard drive on. Don't even remember how I configured it.

robsoles
July 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I think you must mean the BIOS battery.

Yes, get another one even if only to stop it nagging you about it's battery!

You most likely set that old 8088 up using instructions that had you 'go' to a jump vector which held a routine for setting drive parameters - a long time since I setup any 8086s I dealt with back then but if memory serves that is what I had to do!

vwbug
July 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Guess I'll replace it...just lazy LOL

pricetech
July 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM
If you were close, I'd give you one. I got them coming out my ears.

Yes, just replace it and let it complain one last time.

vwbug
July 19th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Guess it pays to be a pack rat. I had an old "fried" motherboard. It has the same battery!

robsoles
July 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM
With a bit of luck it will charge up and go for the rest of the lifetime of the computer you want to put it in.

Maybe you you could mark your thread solved (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads) now.