PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] latest update

rockrhino27
July 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Anybody have a problem with the latest ubuntu 10.04 update?

I updated my system yesterday. It required a restart. I restarted the computer, got to GDM. Logged into the system, my wall paper comes up then it stops. The gnome-panels don't come up, my desktop icons never come. I let it sit for a while, thinking it was running something in the background but nothing. I then went to a terminal and ran ps auxw, and nothing was pegging the CPU. I get a mouse cursor, but cannot do anything. When I manually restart gdm I also get the same thing.

Any ideas?

I have never come across anything like this before... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rock

dino99
July 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
boot without "splash" (edit the boot line)

then into a console:

metacity --replace &
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure plymouth

TheBilgeRat
July 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Same problem with Xubuntu 10.04 update. Boots fine from previous kernel but th latest hangs on "display not supported". Complaints on Plymouth in the logs. I will just wait for an official fix to this issue. It feels like Dapper all over again :P

rockrhino27
July 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I tried reconfiguring GDM and Plymouth.

dpkg-reconfigure gdm
dpkg-reconfigure plymouth

No love. I think i am going to edit the grub.cfg file to boot from the old kernel.

Any suggestions on how to do that?

Thanks for all the help thus far. I love Ubuntu!!!

Rock

rockrhino27
July 6th, 2010, 08:16 PM
That didn't work. I un-hid the hidden grub menu and tried two linux kernels back. I guess the problem is not with the new kernel, but with some software package relating to the gnome desktop. When I have more time i'll have to re-install 10.04 and remember not to update.... :(

Rock

Dilutu
July 7th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Same for me here: I dont get my panel until about one minute after the desktop is up and running.

danielcraigie
July 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
No problem with my graphics card but since the restart the machine won't suspend or hibernate. I found this out when I picked up the netbook (inside its carry case) and almost burned my hand! Closing the lid does not put the computer to sleep, nor when I click suspend/hibernate from the main menu.

Another side effect of the software update is that I can no longer use the touch screen interface. After several attempts to re-calibrate it I noticed that no matter where you put the stylus on the screen, it is interoperated as a click in the top left corner of the screen. Perhaps I need to re-install the drivers again?

[Asus EeePc T101mt - Ubuntu 10.04 netbook edition]