PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freezes on Install

Elijah
July 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I've downloaded two iso's of 10.04, one is the default and the other for the netbook.

Both freezes at the Install window.. all I see is the install window with nothing on it, it's not loading anything. The cd drive stops spinning and the same blank window appears using the usb install.

Could be a hardware issue? what can I do here? I'm out of ideas... are there other alternative installers?

davidmohammed
July 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
have you tried booting with i915.modeset=1 or nomodeset as your grub setting? (Press shift on boot to display the list of kernels - press e and add one of the options immediately before quiet splash)

Elijah
July 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! nomodeset worked :) I got past the empty install window, it seems to be installing now hopefully nothing else happens..

I was wondering what this nomodeset is and why it stops the install .. (?)

davidmohammed
July 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
some graphics cards dont work too well with the "kernel modesetting" that is switched-on by default in lucid. Nomodeset is just a quickway to get around this issue. Nvidia and ATI graphics cards sometimes are affected.

When you complete your install you will need to fix the problem permanently by editing your /etc/default/grub and adding nomodeset i.e. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset". Dont forget to run sudo update-grub after making the change.