PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 not booting & USB boot also freezes (DELL m301z)

seemore
July 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I tried to install a dual boot 10.04 with windows 7 on my newly arrived dell m301z. The dual boot partitioning was a nightmare (my fault) and so I tried to just do a clean ubuntu install with no partitions. The second time I booted the ubuntu the system gets frozen on the login screen and beeps 3 times, the mouse does not work. If I try to boot from a USB that has been confirmed operational, the exact same thing happens. I am completely locked out of my system. Please help.

seemore
July 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm completely shut out of my system. Ok I'll ring dell soon, but I'm not looking forward to it.

davidmohammed
July 4th, 2010, 10:19 PM
try booting and pressing shift after bios screen. This will display a list of kernels (your grub) - press e and find the line with quiet splash. Add nomodeset immediately before i.e. ... nomodeset quiet splash -- and then boot (CTRL+X)

does this work?

seemore
July 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. After the dell screen (F2=bios, F10=boot order), I get a cursor in the top left for a bit and then the purple ubuntu starts. Pressing shift at any of these screens does not appear to have an effect, it is impervious to kryptonite.

seemore
July 5th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'll try booting windows from its DVD when I get my hands on an external DVD burner (my lap top has no built in drive).