PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adding application into the menubar.

Murayama
July 4th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Hello!

I'm new to Ubuntu.
I would like to add an application to the menubar. I searched the net, and found many
tutorials allowing to add an application like this: application menu -> some_category -> MyApp,
but what I would like to do is to have some daily use applications (e.g. terminal) to be in
the menubar itself, not in the application menu. By menubar, I mean the place where the
FireFox icon is.
Is it possible to add Terminal beside firefox? If yes, how?

Thanks,

Pascal

-humanaut-
July 4th, 2010, 03:29 AM
You can just drag and drop items onto the gnome panel

qamelian
July 4th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Locate the application in the Applications menu and right-click on it. Select 'Add this launcher to panel'.

SmokeyThePanda
July 4th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I assume you mean the panel at the top/bottom of your screen.

To do this, right click the panel and click Add New Items. Once you get to the screen, click or drag Launcher to the panel. If you used the second method, right click the new launcher and go to properties. Put the name of the application under Name, Description under Description and then for command, you put the command you would enter into a terminal to run it. Therefore, for firefox it would be "firefox". If you are using ubuntu/gnome I believe the terminal is gnome-terminal. Therefore, add that to the panel. You can also drag item from your menu to the panel, I believe.

SmokeyThePanda
July 4th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Or follow the two above me! ^^ Gotta love people posting while you type. xD

Murayama
July 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Hello!

Thanks for the replies. In case there are other people wondering:
I have been looking for the terminal executable in /bin, /usr/bin, etc… and found nothing.
But I found out that the icon can be dragged directly from the applications -> accessories menu.
Instead of launching the app, drag it to the top menu.

Anyway thanks for the replies. By the way I am impressed by Ubuntu. My last Linux experience
was Mandriva. No doubt that in the meantime Mandriva improved the same way, but apparently
Linux is now almost as easy to use as MacOS-X. And the reason of the "almost" is probably
that I'm still not familiar with it.

Pascal