View Full Version : [ubuntu] Low Disk Space Messages

July 4th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Very new to ubuntu, hence the post in the beginner area. Did some UNIX is school several years ago, but all I remember about that class is the cute chick that sat next to me. hahaha One thing I am confused about. Today I started getting low disk messages, such as "There are 0 kilobytes remaining on the disk..." I click examine to see what the issue is and the Disk Usage Analyzer is showing 216 GB available. I do a search for commands to investigate. I use df -h and the result is:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop0 17G 16G 0 100% /
none 1.5G 288K 1.5G 1% /dev
none 1.5G 216K 1.5G 1% /dev/shm
none 1.5G 88K 1.5G 1% /var/run
none 1.5G 0 1.5G 0% /var/lock
none 1.5G 0 1.5G 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sdb1 233G 18G 216G 8% /host

so I imagine is talking about /dev/loop0. Question is, what is that? and why is the whole darn thing taken up? and what do I do to solve the problem.

July 4th, 2010, 03:20 AM
The real question is why "/dev/loop0" is your root partition. That is very weird.

July 4th, 2010, 04:05 AM
You got me, I fired up wubi, selected some options and let it run. Any ideas for a solution?

July 4th, 2010, 04:33 AM
well low disk space ussually you have to delete/ uninstall some stuff.

try "sudo apt-get clean" that will remove cache package downloads. but might not be much.

I'm not familiar with wubi installs so that might explain why root is on /dev/loop0.

July 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I think what I'm going to do is format the whole disk I have ubuntu installed on. (Want to change it all to ext4 anyway) then reinstall ubuntu through a bootable CD instead of wubi. That way I can make more space for root in the process.

July 4th, 2010, 02:14 PM
If you do take that route, you might consider have a few separate partitions.

A small one for root, the OS. 10 -15 GB should be ample room for growth.

A very big partition for /home

And possibly another for swap. Slightly larger than your RAM. Personally I don't use one.

July 4th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Yup that's what I did had a 500gb hd that has windows on it, then a 250 that I'm using for Ubuntu. Of course now windows won't boot properly..haha. Keeps wanting to boot into recovery mode for whatever reason. Nothing like a little push to get away from Windows.