PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation asks for a user and pass

amonterou
July 4th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Hi,
I have installed Ubuntu in many machines and this has never happened. When I put the CD in the tray and start my computer it usually asks what I want to do, try it or install it. In this case I started and it went directly into the login screen and asks for a user and password! I haven't even installed the system, so I haven't even created a default user, I'm just plain inserting the disc, I'm installing it in a Vaio, any help is appreciated.

SmokeyThePanda
July 4th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Kinda sad question to ask here...But did you try pushing enter? I know when you boot into a live cd, it gives you the user/pass screen and auto-logs in. If it didn't, you could try pressing enter to force it to log you in. If that doesn't work..I have no idea. :s You could run an integrity check just to make sure there are no errors on the disc.

wojox
July 4th, 2010, 01:39 AM
That's weird, but I thought I've seen this question before. Try ubuntu as username and leave password blank.

amonterou
July 4th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I did try to press enter but it told me wrong user and password. I tried unknow as user and ubuntu as password but no succes. I went ahead and burned a new cd and it worked, so I guess the cd was damaged.

SmokeyThePanda
July 4th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah, CD error problems are bad. Especially for me, because it takes 2-4 hours to download the .iso ;)

That's why I check with MD5SUM and check the integrity of the CD before I try to install.