PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Missing public key

danielgrosvenor
July 3rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
For the last week or so I've been getting the following error message whenever I try and get updates. Message occurs both in Update Manager and in Terminal.

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2ED6BB6042C24D89

Should I be concerned?

warfacegod
July 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
It depends on what the key is for. Have you tried to install any apps from a PPA?

danielgrosvenor
July 3rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
It depends on what the key is for. Have you tried to install any apps from a PPA?

I'm not 100% sure what is defined as a PPA in this case. :S But I've not installed anything overly fancy - just Adobe AIR, TweetDeck, and a few things like Ubuntu Tweak.

warfacegod
July 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Go to: System> Admin.> Software Sources

Compare the "Other Software" tab and the "Authentication" tab to see which key, if any, is missing.

warfacegod
July 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
A very basic PPA explanation and instructions on adding them if a package you install doesn't do it automatically: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#Adding%20PPAs

danielgrosvenor
July 5th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks.

I'll be honest... I'm not really too sure what I'm looking at here. :S I've attached a screenshot in case anyone can help.

warfacegod
July 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I don't see a key for the launchpad.compiz... PPA (could be wrong). Try unchecking it in the Other Software tab. You'll need to Reload afterward. Then do an Update.

sandyd
July 5th, 2010, 03:28 AM
For the last week or so I've been getting the following error message whenever I try and get updates. Message occurs both in Update Manager and in Terminal.

Should I be concerned?

gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 2ED6BB6042C24D89
gpg --export --armor 2ED6BB6042C24D89 | sudo apt-key add -
none of my famous typos this time I hope.

danielgrosvenor
July 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. That last command sorted it. :)