PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] banned? from irc.freenode.net #ubuntuhelp

pazsion
July 3rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
i was attempting to ask about overclocking ubuntu 10.4 in ubuntu help because i'm using that os and wanting to overclock...

one person took it upon themself to be the first one to answer me in a way that began to become very offenseive..and annoying and they continued to spam me wrong informaton.. even though i had other people helping me with useful information..

he continued to warn me even after rewording the question, that was never directed to him.. to the point where i couldn't mention relevent information for anyone to help me..

i tried joining other channels because of the relentless spamming..offensive comments and misinformation.. /join #linux /join ##hardware /join #ubuntu-offtopic...but i could not join them..

he/she then requested I retrieve documentation supporting my question...
so despite other people assiting me, And being un able to join other channels at the time...i went looking for what i knew was possible.. so that we could be on the same page..

i came back to a warning.... so i reworded my question again... with even less relevant information pertaining to my problem because i felt i had no other choice.. nothing i did seemed to be good enough..and only seemed to offend him/her more.. "recommendations for channel to join for (unmentionable)" was what i was reduced to.. and then i got banned..

ubuntu crashed, and upon reboot some initd.* file had been modified or deleted..and i could not boot ubuntu.. i had to re-install everything..

I'm not sure why ubuntu support is so passionately against overclocking.. but it seems this moderator had a bad day.. but even that doesnt give them the right to access my pc and modify or delete things... or completely ban me from these support methods..

I don't want to tattle tail on this individual.. i just want my real-time support.. in a relevant channel.. even if the information given is completely wrong.. i do wish to block / ignore this person tho.. the 3 instances that i have encountered them in this chat, have been quite abuseive.. i can't cite a specific rule that was ever broken. to warrent any kind of attention from this person. and each action seemed completely false, and has always interrupted other people who had useful information..

Bachstelze
July 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
The Ubuntu support IRC channels are notoriously unfriendly places. Just ask your question here, we do not bite. :)

warfacegod
July 3rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
...we do not bite.

Usually. There are a few notable exceptions to that rule.:biggrin:

khelben1979
July 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
I agree. Because of slower responds time on an internet forum in comparison, the answers do have the possibility to get higher in quality. :popcorn:

jmore9
July 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have found the forums the better place for getting answers in a usable way. The chats can sometimes eat up a newbee.