PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrading minimal install

rascal+1/2
July 3rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I run Ubuntu 8.04 minimal install on a Pentium III with 128 Mb ram. (Works pretty good for some basic tasks including internet). I uploaded synaptic and update manager because I want to upgrade the minimal install to 10.04. Question is, will using the update manager recognize that I'm running openbox & xfe & the minimal install customs? Or wipe out all the customizations and try to install the whole 10.04 package? -That I definitely don't want. Please and thank you,

Josh

lkjoel
July 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
It will probably try to install the whole 10.04.
How much disk space do you have?
Because if you can squeak by the full install, it is not hard to remove a lot of applications, and "downgrading" some others.
What I mean by "downgrading" is for example, instead of gnome-terminal, you would have xfce4-terminal, which is less space from a few hundred KB.

mbsullivan
July 4th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Hi Josh!

As far as I know, you're in the clear... Upgrading your distro will only apply updates to the packages you have installed.

For future reference, you can do this from the command line, too. See "Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Servers (Recommended)" here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades).

Mike

lkjoel
July 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Use the Update Manager to upgrade it.

mbsullivan
July 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Use the Update Manager to upgrade it.

Users with the minimal install might not necessary have or want synaptic and update manager. They are not strictly needed for the upgrade.

Right now, the only package that's needed is update-manager-core:

sudo aptitude install update-manager-core

And then to run a do-release upgrade:

sudo do-release-upgrade

... Of course, you can use the update manager as well, if you have a graphical installation. It's up to you.

Mike