View Full Version : [wubi] grub-pc install problem

July 3rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
OK, I'm making progress. I d/l-d WUBI and installed it on my laptop after connecting a temporary network cable. (I;ve got an HP laptop running Windows 7 x64). After the install, an automatic update d/l-d a bunch of stuff. The install of the update ran fine until GRUB-PC was installing. This seemed to be a problem and after several hours, I canceled it and the rest of the update continued.

Then I was able to d/l & install drivers for the wireless network and now I'm running like a real laptop.

So the question is, What is GRUB-PC and do I really need a new since I'm running Ubuntu from the Wubi install?

Hdtvman says thanks for your help.

July 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Grub-pc is the Bootloader used when you install ubuntu onto a separate partition. To explain it, imagine installing two windows xp's (jus to educate). On the second install, It will allow you to pick between the first and second installation on startup.

Grub would do that, but i'm not sure if you'll need it for wubi. I would say keep it, but don't upgrade it if it's causing you problems, because it'll work just the same.