PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 fresh install, no display!

lighth0use
July 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
G'day all,

Just freshly installed Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop on a HP Pavilion Slimline s3680a w/ a GeForce8400GS.

When it booted into a live session, it came up on screen fine. I clicked install, it did its magic, restarted, but now after it goes past the grub menu, I get no output at all.

I tested the card again by booting back into Windows, and it works fine. It seems the ubuntu install just doesn't like it at all.

I assume an update/install of proprietary drivers may work, but I can't get to that stage at all if I can't see anything after the grub screen!

Thanks in advance.

philinux
July 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Can you get to the recovery mode from grub?

lighth0use
July 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
No, it also gives a blank screen. It does show the command line functions, but once it goes to load the GUI, nothing.

philinux
July 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
No, it also gives a blank screen. It does show the command line functions, but once it goes to load the GUI, nothing.

Ok well that's good. Use the recovery mode to get to the command line and try this.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

then

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

then

reboot

lighth0use
July 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Ok well that's good. Use the recovery mode to get to the command line and try this.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

then

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

then

reboot

I don't have a display in recovery mode either. I can see it loading when it displays the command line functions it is running, but then it automatically loads the gui, which causes no display.

lighth0use
July 3rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Is there something I can do while in the live session that will transfer over to the install?

philinux
July 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Is there something I can do while in the live session that will transfer over to the install?

Yes you can chroot into it using this. http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/howto-recover-grub2-after-windows.html

Then use the commands I gave before.

wesleybishop
July 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Try playing with your monitor adjust the resolution. Change it to 800x600 and just go up from there I am sure it will work with one of them.

lighth0use
July 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Yes you can chroot into it using this. http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/howto-recover-grub2-after-windows.html

Then use the commands I gave before.

Thanks philinux, I've done all that and it's downloading the driver now. Huge relief :)

EDIT: yep working fine now. I do get a buzzing noise through my monitor but for now the mute button is solving that problem.

philinux
July 3rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks philinux, I've done all that and it's downloading the driver now. Huge relief :)

EDIT: yep working fine now. I do get a buzzing noise through my monitor but for now the mute button is solving that problem.

Is that the speakers, I hope?

Try updating now with update manager.