PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keys stop working

elkrause
July 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hey everyone,

Im extremely new to Ubuntu and so far I like it but I have a few roblems. As you might have noticed due to my frequent tyos, some of my keys have randomly stoed working. Its weird, its not the same ones over and over again. Every so often the keys that dont work change in sets of three.

Just wondering if anyone else ran into this roblem and knows some sort of fix for it, thanks!

Elkrause

lkjoel
July 3rd, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm extremely new to Ubuntu and so far I like it but I have a few problems. As you might have noticed due to my frequent typos, some of my keys have randomly stopped working. Its weird, its not the same ones over and over again. Every so often the keys that don't work change in sets of three.

Just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and knows some sort of fix for it, thanks!

Elkrause
Yes I'm using a ASUS EEEPC, and if I press the key hard enough, it will type.
(I fixed the typos for you in my quote)

elkrause
July 3rd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks haha. Regardless of how hard I hit mine however, they still wont work. Its actually stayed consistent for a coule hours now though. STill lookin for some hel.

warfacegod
July 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Be careful how hard to hit the keys. Hard drives have gotten much better with shocks and impacts but they still don't like it. You could potentially damaged your hard drive.

lkjoel
July 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe you should go to a store, and buy a new good quality keyboard.

elkrause
July 4th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Maybe you should go to a store, and buy a new good quality keyboard.

I would if I didnt own a laptop.

warfacegod
July 4th, 2010, 04:43 AM
You could try one that runs on a USB. Maybe borrow one from a friend to see if using an external keyboard fixes the problem.

lisati
July 4th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I have keys on my laptop act up more often than I'd care to admit, because it often turns out to be smoking-related crud that sneaks in and interferes with the works; it is sometimes accompanied by a distinct change in the feel of the key action. For me it's usually solved by powering down or putting the laptop into suspend mode, waiting for disk activity to stop, turning the laptop upside down, and gently shaking it.

MooPi
July 4th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I have keys on my laptop act up more often than I'd care to admit, because it often turns out to be smoking-related crud that sneaks in and interferes with the works; it is sometimes accompanied by a distinct change in the feel of the key action. For me it's usually solved by powering down or putting the laptop into suspend mode, waiting for disk activity to stop, turning the laptop upside down, and gently shaking it.
Yours is smoking and mine is crumbs and bits of food I dribble onto the keypad while I'm at my desk. Why can't I just sit at a table to eat instead of my desk. Most modern or recent keyboards including laptop versions have a membrane the keeps most debris from the internal functions of the device. It is sometimes helpful to disassemble them and blow some air or wipe clean with a damp sponge or cloth. You'll need to be careful regarding laptop keypads, as they are less robust.

lkjoel
July 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I would if I didnt own a laptop.
There are some ways you can stick a new keyboard to your laptop, such as adding a thin cardboard over your keys, then adding the new thin keyboard over top, and using some glue, but that might be too much work! :P