PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wi-fi drops weirdly

arrow.69
July 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on an Asus F8VA laptop. My wireless adapter was configured on install and worked out of the box. The internet worked perfectly in my apartment. For the holidays I've been moving around alot, and found I'm having alot of problems. At first I blamed the signal at my brother's apartment, but other windows laptops weren't having the same issues. Now, at my parent's, I'm having the same issue here while no one else has a problem.

What happens basically is I'll be connected to a wireless network, the signal quality is great. Then somehow, wireless doesn't disconnect, it stays connected, but I can't access the network. I need to disconnect/reconnect the network to fix it temporarily. This gets especially frustrating when you're IMing and aren't sure whether your friend is actually getting the messages. So I'll be on msn and refreshing google to make sure my internet works.

It's gotten to the point where if I can't find a proper solution I'm going to write a script to ping my router every few seconds and reconnect if the ping fails.

Does anyone know what might be causing my problem, or have any creative solutions?

Thanks alot.