PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Driver problems

dlanger
July 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Alright hows it going people? Last week I "upgraded" To Linux Ubuntu from windows! So far it has been an interesting journey and I have enjoyed it a lot. But then It came time for me to start using wine which I have absolutely no experience with and I wanted to use it to run Warcraft 3. I went to a separate forum and it said that to start I had to go System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. hardware drivers window said No proprieatary drivers are in use on this system (there is a screenshot of this in the attachment please view) but I know I have the graphics cards for it because I ran Warcraft 3 on this computer when I had windows. ALSO I forgot what drivers I have so now I want to find out what drivers I am running and make it so they work and I have no idea what I'm talking about please help!](*,):-({|=[-o<
P.s. this is only problem 1 of 2 major problems that came up some time the other one is my sounds doesn't work what now?

QIII
July 2nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

Could you tell us what GPU/card you are using?

Unfortunately, WINE is not a silver bullet. Some things work well, others not so much.

dlanger
July 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

Could you tell us what GPU/card you are using?

Unfortunately, WINE is not a silver bullet. Some things work well, others not so much.

Thank you for starting to help. Okay well I would have told you that it's just I have no idea how to find out what my GPU/card I am using?

j.bell730
July 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and copy/paste this...

lspci | grep VGA
Post here what comes up after that.

dlanger
July 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
dan@dan-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
dan@dan-desktop:~$
Thats what came up.

arpanaut
July 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
dan@dan-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
dan@dan-desktop:~$
Thats what came up.

Yup! ATI/AMD stopped providing drivers in Linux for those chips a while ago. I don't know how wine/games will work with the open-source drivers, I dumped my 9800 pro card a couple of years ago, but there are limited AGP cards available anymore... Good Luck!

dlanger
July 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Question then A) What should I do know? B) If I got it to work with Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft don't you guys think it would be possible to do it now with wine or is it that wine isn't compatible with those cards. If it isn't compatible what would you suggest?

QIII
July 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
A) How old is your computer, and what would you be willing to spend on a new card? Any of the newer AMD/ATI "HD" cards will work with the drivers available in the repos for your particular version. I imagine that you are running Lucid Lynx? Sorry I don't have better news, but your current card does not have driver support for the latest version of XServer.

B) I don't think it is a matter of Wine working with the card, exactly. Wine provides a compatibility layer for Windows programs to run in what is known as a "loop device" with a set of libraries that allow a Windows program to hook Windows APIs in a user space. But it works through the X Server using wineserver.

I believe, then, that graphics rendering would still be dependent on a Linux driver. Anyone can feel free to step in and correct me here.

dlanger
July 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Wait so now I'm confused. I don't have a lot to spend and its in no way a new computer... What would I have to do fix this problem?

QIII
July 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Effectively, you need a new ATI/AMD or nVidia graphics card that is supported with either company's latest drivers.

How fast you want it to play and what sort of graphics quality to want it to give will have to be the criteria you use to choose a model from low- to high-end.

dlanger
July 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Is there a cheap in between end? what would you suggest. And in your own experience with a lot of work can my crappy out-of-date computer be upgraded by any means possible without throwing it in the trash?

QIII
July 2nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Can you give me some specs on the old nag?

I've had good luck in the past nursing old computers along, but the deal here will be whether or not the mobo will work with one of the newer cards. Many of them require at least a free PCIe slot, usually x16 if you are using a 64 bit system. If your system is old and 32 bit, you may find a card that will work with the older 32 bit PCI slot.

Technology moves along. I have the means and the time to stay state of the art, so I don't do much with the old "classics" these days.

So it would be tough to recommend anything without some technical specs on the mobo.