can anyone help

thank you

bodhi.zazen
July 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
but it keeps telling me i cant do that.

can anyone help

thank you

Can you please post more information.

How did you try to format your hard drive ? What application did you user ? gparted ? command line ?

What is the exact error you are getting?

What version of Ubuntu, what kind of hard driver (internal / external / usb) and finally what file system ? ext3/4 ? FAT ? NTFS ?

Rubi1200
July 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
but it keeps telling me i cant do that.

can anyone help

thank you

Could you please provide us with more information?

How did you try and format the drive?

What tools did/are you using?

What type of computer, what is installed on it?

The more you help us, the more we can help you.

See post above

Windows Nerd
July 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I the only obvious solution with the information so far is that you are trying to format a mounted drive; but so far you haven't given us much, see the 2 posts above.

Scott

-kg-
July 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
I the only obvious solution with the information so far is that you are trying to format a mounted drive; but so far you haven't given us much, see the 2 posts above.

Scott

+1

The correct question would be:

Are you trying to "format the hard drive" from an installation on the same hard drive, or from a Live CD? You should be able to format a hard drive from an installation, as long as you are either formatting a secondary hard drive (one that the installation isn't installed on) or on the same hard drive, as long as you're not trying to perform operations on a mounted partition.

A good starting point would be to read the information at the link in my signature block, "How To Partition", but certainly we need more information.