PDA

View Full Version : Watching LIVE TV with Mythbuntu

willebanks
July 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Howdy all,

Hoping to get some feedback on what I'm hoping is a simple problem. Here's My system specs;

Home Built
Mythbuntu 10.4 LTS
AMD Semperon 3200+ 64bit
3Gb PC2 6400 memory
On-Board Nvidia Video w 256 shared memory
3 SATA 500gb HD's
1 - Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150

(1 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q - Just can't seem to get it to work at all!)

I have AT&T Uverse as my TV provider. I was upset to learn that only one STB can pause & rewind. I read somewhere on the net that I can connect a cable from the TV out on the STB to the PVR-150 card and combined with Mythbuntu view and record TV in real time.

I tried using the HVR-950Q with no luck...granted I gave up with not much fight. Since installing the PVR-150 I have been able to record TV shows. I can watch that recording on my computer in real time but that is all. I can't just watch a show....I have to record it first...I have yet to connect the computer to my TV so not sure of the quality of the recordings but they look great on my computers flat screen monitor.

Any way, I'm certain that I'm missing something simple...I would rather not spend any more on this computer but I'm will spend a little more if it means I can watch live tv.

2 Side bars ... I would also like to be able to change channels via my computer. When I purchase the PVR 150 no remote or dongle was included. If someone could direct to a source that would be awesome!

For those switching to AT&T Uverse...On the back of all the STB's are network ports...these are live and can be used to connect to computers on your network and the Internet. I get about 350 mb / per second. Nice

TIA
Will Banks

willebanks
July 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Well I guess my problem is bigger than I thought.

I can't believe that theres not a single person out there in mythubuntu land thats not had this same problem

Looks like I'm going back to Windows.

Thats a shame...I really wanted this to work.

Spent a small fortune on getting all the "right" parts. You know, I wanted to be sure Mythbuntu
would work just like the website and all the books and magazines say it would.

Should have know better. Really frustrating you know!

Well thanks for all the help everyone!

willebanks

PS if I figure this out on my own I'll be real sure to keep it to myself!

tgm4883
July 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Well I guess my problem is bigger than I thought.

I can't believe that theres not a single person out there in mythubuntu land thats not had this same problem

Looks like I'm going back to Windows.

Thats a shame...I really wanted this to work.

Spent a small fortune on getting all the "right" parts. You know, I wanted to be sure Mythbuntu
would work just like the website and all the books and magazines say it would.

Should have know better. Really frustrating you know!

Well thanks for all the help everyone!

willebanks

PS if I figure this out on my own I'll be real sure to keep it to myself!

It's the 4th, so I'll restrain myself here.

I tried using the HVR-950Q with no luck...granted I gave up with not much fight. Since installing the PVR-150 I have been able to record TV shows. I can watch that recording on my computer in real time but that is all. I can't just watch a show....I have to record it first...I have yet to connect the computer to my TV so not sure of the quality of the recordings but they look great on my computers flat screen monitor.

Maybe nobody has answered you because you aren't exactly clear in what the problem is. WTF does the bold section even mean? You can watch a recording in real time? Does that mean Live TV? But then you say you have to record it first. I've read it three times and don't know what you are talking about.

Regarding a remote. I like the MCEUSB remotes. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote

laffinet
July 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I agree, your description is not very clear. I don't understand what the problem with your system is.

You are saying you can record TV, play recordings, play recordings real time (what does this mean), but not liveTV.

What happens when you select "Watch TV" ?

Mad_Professor
July 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
He's talking about Set Top Box from AT&T UVERSE and he can only watch one show at a time per capture card or per STB. You need another STB for the second card since you have two cards a PVR150 and HVR950.
Unless you can link us that site you were talking about so we can see what you are actually trying to achieve.

I guess he is also complaining about time shift when watching live tv, which is what it's normally suppose to do. Also if you have one tuner and select watch TV while recording, it will interrupt the recording to fulfill the live TV request.

for the second paragraph of his post, about remote contorl.

GOOD NEWS! YOU CAN!
It's call mythweb.

on your mythbox:
You can enable it by going to mythcontrol center under "system" of the main menu that you get when you right click on desktop. Look in plugins for mythweb and enable it. If it's not there try one of the other groups.

Once enabled, on your computer:
Enter the ip of your mythbox in to your web browser "http://exa.mpl.e86/mythweb"
click on remote then click on your mythbox name, hit refresh since its a bit buggy, it will highlight and have fun. I have this setup for my bedroom, I control it with a cheap netbook. It's pretty awesome.