PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Fully Switching to Ubuntu

EinhanderSoul
July 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
After days of testing Xubuntu via Wubi installation, I finally decided to fully switch to it, I was amazed by the result, after Wubi finished installation, I didn't even need to download drivers cause it installs them automatically! I was really surprised and impressed, the Internet Connection began to work automatically, it has sound, USB devices works fine. Although, I had to install some apps through terminal to make a certain Gamepad work, but other than that it's completely perfect!

First and foremost reason that I decided to fully switch, not dual-boot wind Windows is that, I only have 37.2 GB of HD space, second, I cannot resize my partition! It's because whether there are 768 bad Sectors on my Hard Drive according to the GParted Information, or it has the boot flag on, and third, my family who uses this old computer likes the interface and new glossy look (eye candy) of Ubuntu Linux and there's not much of the difference with Windows.

How do I fully install Ubuntu on my partition without it mixing and messing up with my Windows partition, and how do I remove my Windows partition?

I'm officialy a Linux lover.

KdotJ
July 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Glad to see another happy new member, hope it all works out well for you

EinhanderSoul
July 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
I still have questions though.. see post above...

philinux
July 2nd, 2010, 12:29 PM
After days of testing Xubuntu via Wubi installation, I finally decided to fully switch to it, I was amazed by the result, after Wubi finished installation, I didn't even need to download drivers cause it installs them automatically! I was really surprised and impressed, the Internet Connection began to work automatically, it has sound, USB devices works fine. Although, I had to install some apps through terminal to make a certain Gamepad work, but other than that it's completely perfect!

First and foremost reason that I decided to fully switch, not dual-boot wind Windows is that, I only have 37.2 GB of HD space, second, I cannot resize my partition! It's because whether there are 768 bad Sectors on my Hard Drive according to the GParted Information, or it has the boot flag on, and third, my family who uses this old computer likes the interface and new glossy look (eye candy) of Ubuntu Linux and there's not much of the difference with Windows.

How do I fully install Ubuntu on my partition without it mixing and messing up with my Windows partition, and how do I remove my Windows partition?

I'm officialy a Linux lover.

Install the app gsmartcontrol or run palimpsest and check the bad sectors there. If they still show that many bad sectors I would back up anything important straight away. Your hard drive could die at any time.

corncob
July 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM
If you don't want Windows any more, select "use entire drive" when you install Ubuntu.

EinhanderSoul
July 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Install the app gsmartcontrol or run palimpsest and check the bad sectors there. If they still show that many bad sectors I would back up anything important straight away. Your hard drive could die at any time.

I already did backup and a Windows CD is here at my lap if anything goes loco.

KdotJ
July 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Apologies for my lack of help, I honestly just missed out your last paragraph. But corncob hit the nail

If you don't want Windows any more, select "use entire drive" when you install Ubuntu.

still, bad sectors are never good

Jakiejake
July 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Magnet On A Hard Drive?
So can't you just delete everything with the Gparted Live CD
Make sure you are using a live cd
You can't delete your OS if your using it
FYI I know Ubuntu 10.04 has Gparted built in you could boot from the live cd and try/use that.