PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freezes soon after login - 9.10

rbscairns
July 2nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
My system:

HP Pavilion, Intel 1.6GHz dual core CPU, 1GB RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, PS2 keyboard, USB mouse, BenQ FP767 monitor.

After swapping out a 160GB SATA HDD (with XP on it) I did a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10 onto the 500GB SATA HDD (deleting everything off the HDD in the process). During the install process, everything (monitor, keyboard and mouse) all worked fine.

At the end of the installation, I was asked to reboot, which I did. The login procedure worked (including mouse and keyboard)and the GUI was displayed. Then, within 5 seconds, everything froze. The only thing I could do was push the power button and turn the system off.

I waited 5 minutes and the turned the system back on. Exactly the same thing happened, except it took about 30 seconds for the big freeze. Another power off.

Thinking it might be a hardware problem, I swapped the XP HDD back in and booted. Everything worked fine under XP, so I swapped the Ubuntu HDD back in and the turned the system back on. Exactly the same thing happened, except this time it took about 10 seconds for the big freeze. Another power off.

I search the forum and found this (or similar variant) appears to a common problem, but there are no fixes - well none that I could follow or understand.

Where do I go from here?