PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to format ubuntu

Azatos
July 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM
I need to format this harddrive so I can install XP, it won't install install while ubuntu is on my drive. How do I go about in doing this.

markyb73
July 1st, 2010, 11:04 PM
can you not use the xp disc to delete the old partitions and create ntfs ones during setup?

pricetech
July 2nd, 2010, 12:16 AM
If you're talking about XP instead of Ubuntu on the drive, then just boot to the live CD and run Gparted to remove the existing partition, then reboot with your XP install disk and let XP partition for itself.

Azatos
July 2nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
can you not use the xp disc to delete the old partitions and create ntfs ones during setup?

It does but, at the time I didn't have my drive set to compatibility mode or something so it would always boot into the BSOD with XP.

It was pretty painless to format ubuntu, cause I did it by accidently clicking around in gparted to figure out what to do. Once I get an extra computer to **** around on I'm coming back to ubuntu.

Thanks for the help.

sidzen
July 2nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
I
It was pretty painless to format ubuntu, cause I did it by accidently clicking around in gparted to figure out what to do. Once I get an extra computer to **** around on I'm coming back to ubuntu.

Ask for one at your local University's IT office. All one needs is a P4 and hard drives are cheap now.
Or just go with a separate hard drive.

Be Pane-Free!

libssd
July 2nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
I need to format this harddrive so I can install XP, it won't install install while ubuntu is on my drive. How do I go about in doing this.
Why not make a backup of Ubuntu, using Remastersys, wipe the drive, install XP, then repartition using the Ubuntu installer?