PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Streaming Radio keeps stopping after 8/10 minuets

Peterfc
July 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
After spending a day going through the search for help i have to admit defeat.

I listen to three local radio stations but after between 8/10 minuets the stream stops. In the search someone said top remove Totem and after this still the radio stops.

I have 10.04 with all updates applied. This has happened before the recent update to Firefox.

I do not know what to list from my machine to help.

Peter

ajgreeny
July 1st, 2010, 10:47 PM
I presume it was totem-mozilla that you removed, or did you also get rid of totem itself?

I have always removed totem-mozilla and used another media player plugin in its place in my browser. It used to be mozilla-mplayer, but now that has no further development going on, I use gecko-mediaplayer instead. Many users prefer vlc-plugin, but I have never liked that, though I do use vlc for most media uses other than in the browser.

I do not see any obvious reason, however, why any media player plugin should stop after 10 mins, and I suspect it is nothing to do with whatever plugin you use, but perhaps some other setting. Just out of interest, try using something like gnome-mplayer to play the stream direct, rather than through firefox. If that plays on after the 10 min time has elapsed, it points to a firefox problem, but I have no idea where to start looking for clues.

tgalati4
July 2nd, 2010, 01:02 AM
Open a terminal and run firefox:

firefox

Then post the output after the stream stops. I'm guessing it's a flash problem. Many radio stations use a flash player and it balls up.

ajgreeny
July 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Good point tgalati4, I had forgotten about flash streams.

However, I do wish sites would use something better than flash!