PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can Someone Recommend a USB Webcam with IR LEDS that works with FFmpeg

prupert
June 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Hi

I want to buy a USB Webcam and use it for monitoring my baby whilst she sleeps at night. It thus must have IR LEDs (that are on all the time) so I get a good image in the dark (simply have LED lights is not an option as this will wake her) and preferably a microphone built in.

It also must work with Ubuntu 10.04 or higher and with FFmpeg (so I can use FFmpeg to stream the video to FFserver so I can view the video over the network).

I have tried a few cheapo webcams from eBay and they don't work with FFmpeg for some reason. I know I can buy an IP camera with these features, in fact I have already done so, but their microphones are very poor and don't work so well. I have a low power, silent PC lying around unused, so I plan to use that in combination with a webcam.

There are loads of posts on this forum of people having problems getting their random webcam to work, so I thought I would work the other way and ask for some views on webcams with the above features that people have got to work in Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance.