PDA

View Full Version : Selling off a few things

buddyd16
June 29th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I am looking to both test the waters and actually sell off of few pieces of my older hardware that I have almost completely stopped using. Let me know if the prices sound reasonably and if you are interested in purchasing.

Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop (from early 2006)
17" - 1920x1200 screen
Intel Pentium M 1.86ghz
Nvidia go 6800 gpu
2gb ram
DVD +/-RW drive
150 gb hitachi hard drive (new drive 1.5 yrs old)
Battery still holds a charge Ubuntu reports 3hrs on a full charge
Comes with the system cds and carrying case
Original OS: Windows XP Pro
Looking to get: $150-$250

Sony External DVD +/-/ROM drive
Looking to get: $30-$40

Again mainly looking to test the waters with the prices but if anyone feels they are interested let me know and I will work with you.

thanks

jimestesphl
June 30th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I live in the Philly area and a friend of mine at work would probably be interested in the laptop. I have been turning my friends on to Ubuntu and this might be right up his alley. I'll see him tomorrow. My email is <snip>.

Jim Estes

buddyd16
June 30th, 2010, 04:07 AM
cool keep me posted as far as I can tell everything works out of the box with ubuntu although the indicator leds for the internal wireless do not function correctly but I believe I have seen a post or two on here with a work around for older versions of ubuntu that might still work. The 3hrs reported by ubuntu for the battery is probably more realisticly in the realm of 1.75-2hrs when actually doing anything slightly intensive such as browsing the web or working in gimp.

Seanlol
June 30th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Western Digital My Book Essential 500gb external drive
Looking to get: $40-$50

How much wear does this drive have on it?

Yarui
June 30th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I don't think a used 500GB hard drive could be worth $40-50 unless it is still very new. You may find someone willing to buy it if you are lucky, but I would sooner shell out the $70 for a new one than risk buying a used drive that could be nearing death.

buddyd16
June 30th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Seanlol: The external drive has been used as a straight data drive since I bought it in late 2007 at its peak it was at 80% capacity right now it is at 60% capacity but I will format to whatever file system the buyer would like either via gparted or windows for ntfs. The drive was used in conjuction with the 17" Dell laptop as a media center which saw use about once a week for a little under a year. If this doesn't answer your question let me know and I will try to provide you with any info you need.

Yarui: Thanks for your input I agree with you here especially if I would need to ship the drive which would cause added stress to the parts so I guess realistically I should expect $20-$35 for it.

Yarui
June 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Personally I would consider what you are describing to be a fairly large amount of wear on a hard drive. I have seen plenty of external drives die with less use than that. It might not be totally unreasonable to ask for $40 for it if it still seems healthy, though, but I think $50 would really be pushing it.

buddyd16
June 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Yarui: Thanks for your input I personally do not have much experience with approximating/measuring hard drive wear, I have checked it using the built in utility in ubuntu and it reports the drive as healthy would a screenshot or report from that utility be helpful for prospective buyers or is there some other utility that would provide better information?

Mainly I would like to be able to verify to myself that yes the drive is acceptable for sale by another means than just going by how I utilized the drive because nothing sucks more than buying a piece of hardware and having it fail on you in a short amount of time.

Yarui
June 30th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately there isn't really a reliable way to know how healthy a drive is. I am personally very wary of used drives because even new drives are fairly prone to failure. If it's not making any clicking noises and utilities report it as healthy, though, it probably won't be impossible to find someone willing to buy it from you. I generally just go by age and a 2 and a half year old drive that has been used fairly frequently just sounds risky to me, but I suppose that's a judgment call.

Seanlol
June 30th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Yarui: Thanks for your input I agree with you here especially if I would need to ship the drive which would cause added stress to the parts so I guess realistically I should expect $20-$35 for it.

Hell, I'd take it for 20 bucks. But you're not selling it anymore, so....

Meh.

SoloSalsa
July 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM
What is the model of the Sony DVD drive? What comes with it?

buddyd16
July 2nd, 2010, 04:39 AM
It is a DRX-83OU it comes with all the original packaging and contents

http://reviews.cnet.com/dvd-drives/sony-drx-830u-external/4505-3212_7-32065215.html
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DRX-830U-External-Double-Layer-DVD%C2%B1RW/dp/B000HS2N1O

buddyd16
July 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Brookstone: sorry for the delayed reply, The netbook was purchased last november(2009) it had the 1.6 ghz atom. Unfortunatly on my most recent trip the screen was cracked as someone was trying to cram their luggage in the overhead next to my bag so I have now taken it down from my for sale list.

Windwalker52
July 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Do you have a battery charger and AC adapter for the laptop? If you have not sold it in 20 days when payday comes around look me up. This is the 10th of July.