PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to switch between applicatinos using the mouse but without compiz?

finny388
June 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I am using a netbook low on computer power.

I don't have compiz installed and I don't want it.

But I want to be able to switch between applications using the mouse.

Expose style would be great but performance is paramount so if they were just icons or something that would be fine.

Or is it possible to use the mouse to trigger alt-tab? (my netbook is often hooked up to my TV so keyboard is not always in reach)

In Kubuntu I just had to move the pointer to the top left corner of the screen and an expose style effect would happen. But I believe that was compiz and I have moved to Ubuntu and found it much snappier.

Any ideas?

ajgreeny
June 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM
In UNR there are icons for each open app top left in the only panel which you can click on to change application window showing.

finny388
June 29th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop version

denham2010
June 29th, 2010, 09:47 AM
There are a couple of ways I know of, the most obvious being the task manager on your panel / dock of choice.

Of course, if you do not wish to use any of these, maybe give Xfce a go. Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment, similar to gnome in many aspects, and ideal for low powered devices.

In Xfce, you can configure a mouse click (middle button by default) to display a menu of all your desktops and from there you can select any of the open apps on these desktops.

Give it a go, search xfce-desktop in synaptic to install / uninstall (if you decide it's not for you).

On the login screen, you can change your session from gnome to xfce to try it out.

Cheers.

finny388
June 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Can Xfce be configured to mouse gestures?

My middle mouse button is reserved for scroll mode switching on my Logitech VX Nano.

I do however, have a generic button below the wheel, that I don't use, that currently is set to paste when pressed.

I wonder where that is configured. Perhaps I could change it from Paste to Move Between Windows.

ajgreeny
June 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your needs.

have a look at the Window Selector applet which you can add to the panel, top or bottom as you please, if you still have both panels.

That just shows an icon of the current active application window, but when you click on it, will list all the windows open, allowing you to choose which to bring forward.

finny388
June 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks ajgreeny. :p

It's not pretty but it does the job. Phew. At least there is a method.

I did find a mouse button binding program that works very well so mouse only is bypassed by binding my middle mouse button to a keyboard combo. (it's called btnx).

thanks