PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot snow leopard and 10.04 on mini3,1

astrashe
June 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm a new mactel user. I can get ubuntu to work fine on its own (except for sound, a problem for another day), but I can't get dual booting to work.

I'm using this page as a guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation

I started out with a clean OSX snow leopard install. I ran bootcamp and shrank my 320G hfs+ file system to 160G. I installed rEFIt, and rebooted twice (you don't see the menu after rebooting once).

Then I booted from my 10.04 CD, and deleted the partition created by bootcamp using gparted.

When I run the installer and tell it to use the largest continuous space, it makes the / file system in partition #5, and the swap partition in partition #5.

I figured that might cause problems with a MBR partition table, so I partitioned manually, and set up / in sda3 and swap in sda4.

When I tried to configure the installation of the bootloader, I had a menu of possible places to install it. The choices were:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda-1
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda-1 (listed a 2nd time)
/dev/sda3
/dev/sda-1 (listed a 3rd time)

I picked /dev/sda3, but then the OK button was grayed out.

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks...

SecretLegend
June 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Hey Man I don't know exactly what you are doing wrong but I think you should follow this tutorial:

http://lifehacker.com/5531037/how-to-triple+boot-your-mac-with-windows-and-linux-no-boot-camp-required

Just follow the steps for Ubuntu not windows and you should be fine. BTW this is how I set mine up :) Hope This Helps

LtPitt
June 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Great stuff!

Do you think it's possible to triple boot

Mac os 9.2.2

Mac os 10.3.9

and

Ubuntu 10.4?

I have a rev b imac with 80 gb disk and 512 mb ram (incoming) and I just feel crazy about experimenting :)

linuxopjemac
June 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
LtPitt: Go for Debian Lenny with LXDE.