PDA

View Full Version : idea: new kind of file browser

jesuisbenjamin
June 26th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hi there,

An idea just popped in my mind this morning. I am very much a newbie in programming so i can't even imagine how this can be realised. So i speak as a user.

One of the most frustrating experience on a computer is the file-browser usage. This is not specific to Ubuntu, it's true for computer environment in general.

The frustrating part is:

One cannot see what's in a repertory before this repertory is open.
Moving files across repertories is cumbersome, several windows need to be open, drag and drop them one by one or as a group.
Files are mostly handled one by one or in batch, but there is not possibility to do several actions with several files simultaneously.

What i propose:
A browser which reveals the entire system in one page, in the form of a tree, preferably in 3D or in 2D with a dynamic effect which simulate movement across the tree (closer or nearer to some parts of it). Moving files, editing them etc should then be smooth and oversee-able. The content of every repertory would be visible (no need to open the repertory to see there is nothing in it).
Handling files should be done thanks to a mouse-cursor behaviour which is adapted to the environment. One should for instance have the ability to cut or copy a file and keep it in your hand as it were while dealing with other files (where the hand is the cursor). It should be easy to select files from among the files collected in that "hand" and to apply certain actions on them. Multiple files can be collected in all places and manipulated in whatever way the user wishes without difficulty and unnecessary clicks back and forth.

How does this sound? I'd like to put this on brainstorm, but it might be better to get some second opinion before.
Also it may be an opportunity to bring Ubuntu to the front and make some revolution in the computer world. This kind of file browser would fit rightly in the upcoming technology of touchscreen and 3D interfaces.

So what do you think?

quinntar
June 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Actually I think you're quite right for the folders (rather than repertory) Ben, but actually showing the whole system in a window or something wouldn't be hard to do... since systems already do it, for instance if you go under / you will see the entire system, not the whole developed tree but the first branches of tree... systems look like russian dolls, you got something in something... another way would be to change the way it's sorted but I think you will always need containers and contained files... Finally the thing that already exists is "a copy directly to some folder" option, with customizable places...

another idea for browser experiments that also already exists with konqueror is to have a file viewer, mail browser, internet browser... bundled in the same program... in order to have 1 app instead of 3 running...

I think you should have a look at "Nemo" browser http://www.iola.dk/nemo/

A+

Quinntar

lkjoel
July 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I would agree, and with BASH, you can do all of that.
With a GUI, that is another thing.
Maybe a button that says peek could work.
The multiple file operations... that could be slightly confusing to users.
But I would give it an A+.
Definitely worth putting on brainstorm.

Penguin Guy
July 18th, 2010, 08:16 PM
A browser which reveals the entire system in one page, in the form of a tree, preferably in 3D or in 2D with a dynamic effect which simulate movement across the tree ...
Well I'm not sure about 3D effects or anything, but Nautilus already has a hierarchy mode. I completely disagree with your post, Nautilus works fine for me. However I do believe filesystems should be tag-based rather than hierarchical.

vikas.sood
July 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM
A fancy 3D file browser sounds good :popcorn:

tree . | less

the above has worked for me for some time. I too wish to replace it ;)