PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mysql config on EC2

kpgalligan
June 25th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Holy crap pants. Sometimes I really don't like the linux/mysql deal.

I have an ubuntu EC2 instance. Mysql would start fine stock. However, I copied the data dir to an EBS block. I chown'ed the dir recursively to mysql:mysql. I changed my.cnf to point to it. I added the data dir in the apparmor config.

After that, if I try to start with:

/etc/init.d/mysql start

It will spit out a warning about using 'service mysql start'. However, you'd think it would start anyway. No start. Worse, no message in /var/log/syslog

I try with 'service mysql start'. The command line just locks. Never returns. Nothing in logs.

I made sure the drive was mounted properly. It didn't auto mount after a restart. I also restarted apparmor, just to make sure.

No luck. While I'd expect problems, the really frustrating thing is no logging. Any ideas? I was under the impression that ubuntu-mysql was set up to log to syslog rather than a dedicated mysql log. True? No? I'll dig into the my.cnf to get more info.

Thanks in advance.

kpgalligan
June 25th, 2010, 04:28 AM
So weird. I essentially jiggled the handle for an hour and got it to work. Not sure what was really different.

I started mysqld manually. Got that to work. Then started with init.d, and it started fine.