PDA

View Full Version : Inspiron 6000 laptop as frontend/new back end?

tquill
June 25th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with a pentium m 2.00 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, ATI Mobility radeon x300, intel pro/wireless 2915ABG network card.

I don't think that laptop is good enough for a backend, but could it work as a frontend? I understand that ATI doesn't work as well as nvidia for ubuntu, but is it workable at all?

Also, I was looking through the working/non-working system thread... but do any of those working systems come with the hardware built as-is? I'm wanting to get a backend system for a decent price.

I'm wanting to be able to record and watch tv from my Philips 42TA648BX/37 LCD TV... so I'm not sure what my options are.

ian dobson
June 25th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hi,

Wy not just give it a try. MythTV/Linux doesn't really like ATI mainly due to crappy drivers, but the box might be enough for HD.

The problems I can see with this box:-
1) ATI graphic card
2) You can only use USB tuner cards
3) 1Gb ram might not be enough for Backend and frontend
4) Laptops don't usually have large/fast harddisks

I put together a **** box for a friend so that he can record the football WM (using whatever we found laying around) and it doesn't seem to have any problems with HD playback:-

1) AMD 2GHz dual core
2) 1.5Gb ram
3) NVidia 9300gt
4) 500Gb seagate HD
5) DVB-c tuner card (thats the only part tht we had to purchase)

My friend has already started talking about how much I want for the box/can we stick it into a nicer box.

Regards
Ian Dobson