PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] should i start with Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio?

caprice
June 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
About to download my distro of Ubuntu and discovered Ubuntu studio which comes pre-loaded with most of the music editing software i need. I'm still new to Ubuntu, but it looks just as user friendly. Should I start with Ubuntu studio or Ubuntu?

cheers!

jnorthr
June 22nd, 2010, 11:59 PM
you could do both, then burn them as live-CD's and play with them a little before you decide which version to install. If you're unfamiliar with ubuntu, i'd start with ubuntu first and play with that until you get the hang of it, you can always load the studio version on top of it later, or if you are just running a live-CD, take the CD out, put the studio version in the slot and reboot. It might save you spending a lot of time and finding the version you loaded is not what you need.

Ivkosky
June 23rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
For me Ubuntu Studio is not much more than Ubuntu with pre-installed audio/video software...

If you want to do some more professional audio/video editing and don't want to bother with separate installation of all those programs, then it's suitable for you.

Anyway, as for a beginner I would personally prefer classical Ubuntu since it has the biggest support. But it's just my opinion and you could give it a try. :)

Anyway, if you decide to go for Ubuntu Studio, let me know if you are satisfied! :)

yetiman64
June 23rd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Just for info there is a Ubuntu Studios forum in here, that may be worth searching through for you.

From what I understand (note I don't actually use studio) the main difference between the 2 is the kernel (ie rt kernel is used in studio, rt stands for real time) plus a few extra multimedia packages.

I have read recently of someone installing studio then adding the generic kernel later so as to effectively have both in the one install. I'd recommend you have a look around in the Ubuntu Studios forum for such details. Here is a direct link to it http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=335

MCVenom
June 23rd, 2010, 12:11 AM
Go with Ubuntu; after you install it you can convert it into Ubuntu Studio easily later if need be. Also, the Ubuntu Studio is more complex than a normal Ubuntu install. :P